Retro Zone

Full Version: J-RPG, the fall of a myth?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
J-rpg, one of my fave games genre
starting from Megadrive/Snes, through Playstation, DC, Gamecube until Xbox360 in my case,
i have pratically played all the best titles released from the jappo software houses in these, many, years
(the worst too, to be honest)

a long and epic story
a great battle system
a well contructed exp/lv up mechanic
are imo the strong points of the top titles

probably cause the jap market crysis, the fate of this genre seems in the land of oblivion.
occidental rpg are filling this space now, but have extremely different characteristics that i like less:
mostly they are fake open world, with a so-so story and terrible missions/submissions (i hate the send/deliver type ones lol)

to be clear this is not a rant, its only a war-cry of an old time-turn fan lol
hope the Jap will shine again

[Image: 260px-Rpg-7.jpg]
rpg today lol
I'd agree. Even weeb "rpg's" aren't decent anymore, it turned more towards insane graphics over a good story/battle system.
Who cares , 10.000 RPG still waiting for me to play them on NES ,SNES, GBA , PSX , PS2 etc .
 For all i care , all modern day companies may continue to make their "awesome grafic man" games,or  close they dores forever , i am all  set for next 1000 years !  Uzi
Not a massive fan of the genre but i've enjoyed some j-rpg's over the years.
My favourite's would be either of the parasite eve games or vagrant story.
Last one i played was probably golden sun on the GBA, so i've been out of the loop for a long time, i just haven't got the time to play this kind of game anymore, i'm more of a 30-60 minute burst kind of guy nowaday's, hence my love of vapid, shallow game's like shooters and brawlers lol.
@cat the first Parasite Eve (the better one imo) and Vagrant Story are indeed two milestones
played also Golden Sun
maybe you like more action/rpg like Soleil, Zelda, Alundra etc
about the time spent, when the story and the mechanic got me, i tend to squeeze this games (jrpg) like lemons lol
FF7 takes an entire year of my life at age (completed 3 times)
The Last Remnant even 2, one to complete the game and another to search and beat all the secret monsters
waste time? at all lol
FF7 is a classic no arguments there krem, i never could complete it though, i never managed to get knights of the round and could never defeat sephiroth in his final form, it rankles with me to this day lol.
I never beat all the weapons in it either.
If i went back and played it now i probably could because there's so many youtube vid's about the game nowaday's you're basically led by the hand, i realise now how much of the game i missed out on back in the day when i was playing it without any type of guide's.
(10-29-2018, 11:19 PM)cat Wrote: [ -> ]FF7 is a classic no arguments there krem, i never could complete it though, i never managed to get knights of the round and could never defeat sephiroth in his final form, it rankles with me to this day lol.
I never beat all the weapons in it either.
If i went back and played it now i probably could because there's so many youtube vid's about the game nowaday's you're basically led by the hand, i realise now how much of the game i missed out on back in the day when i was playing it without any type of guide's.

So true. I also beat FFVII a couple of times but never any of the weapons and without KOTR materia. I think a 100% attempt is called for now, though!
Think I managed to 100% FFVII, depends what you mean by 100% though - I got KOTR and probably all the other stuff too, not on my first play through mind but on subsequent ones with the aid of an FAQ (so maybe I cheated lol).

The recently released Dragon Quest XI is a good modern JRPG and thankfully they kept the turn based combat. Trails in the sky and it's sequels is another good one that springs to mind too that is modern'ish (as in release, not graphics - they're pretty old school).
@ChamCham thanxs for the suggestions, ill check

about ff7, it has been the ONLY rpg that i need to restart during the first walktrough...
i remember was at the begin of the second cd and i missed a couple of materia orbs required for the first tough monsters...
the materia system of this game imo is difficult to master but simply perfect, unrivalled until today
"The Jap will shine again"

I need that on a shirt.
Pages: 1 2