New GPU: Vega 64 or RTX 2060?

#1. Post Posted: 04-04-2019, 10:31 AM
I'm currently in the market for a new GPU for my main System. Current card is a GTX 970, and although it is plenty capable for 1080p it isn't really cutting it for 1440p or 2160p for most games. And yes: I have the system hooked up to a 4K TV, so those 2 resolutions are actually important for me.

Here are the bulletin points that are Important for me:

-as I stated I'm aiming for 1440p or higher
-I'm running Linux as my main OS, so Vulkan Performance is most important for me. Windows 10 is my secondary OS and mainly used for VR games
-rock solid 30 FPS is all I need, if it can hit higher values I'm all in for it, but for most games I simply don't need high FPS
-Resolution is a bit more important for me than cranking all the details up to Ultra or whatever

What I'm NOT interested in or just don't care about:

-as stupid as it may sound: Raytracing. I'm honestly more interested in raw Performance in regular games. I would probably play around with it a bit, but for me it just isn't a main selling point
-I don't care if my drivers are proprietary or open source
-blinking LED Lights
-running multiple cards

My Price range is ~400€, with ~450 being my absolute limit.

Currently I'm looking at a Asus Radeon RX Vega 64 ROG Strix OC 8GB for 388€ and a Asus GeForce RTX 2060 ROG Strix OC 6GB for 427€, the fact that both are Asus Strix OC cards is pure coincidence, they just happened to be among the cheapest options from sellers I trust for both GPU Options.

I know that the Vega has supposedly a benefit with higher resolutions because of the faster HBM2 Memory, and it is honestly my slightly preffered choice at the moment, but I wanted to get different opinions as well.
My personal, not-so-fancy blog about Theme Parks and related media with some other stuff sprinkled in.

https://www.dive-loop.com/
#2. Post Posted: 04-04-2019, 02:25 PM
Well, I'm actually looking for a new pc build for linux too, so I may be of some help.
From what I was able to gather at the moment the Vega 64 with os drivers is my favourite solution on linux. Awesome drivers seems to get this baby go crazy, and if you undervolt it a little it would seem it will be a lot cooler without drops in performances.

So I would be inclined to suggest you to go with the Vega 64, in particular with the Sapphire NITRO+ edition, if you can find it in you price range. However, if you change GPU frequently of course the NVIDIA cards have more resell value.

P.S. you may want to check the relative benchmarks on
UserBenchmark
Consoles owned:
Playstation, Playstation 2, PSP, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation Vita, Sega Saturn, Nintendo Switch.

Consoles wanted:
Sega Dreamcast, Wonderswan.

[Image: Felneth.png]
#3. Post Posted: 04-04-2019, 04:54 PM
could look at the GeForce GTX 1660 Ti as well
#4. Post Posted: 04-04-2019, 04:57 PM
Yeah, I read about that undervolting thing too.
Thanks for your input, it confirmed my preference of the Radeon.
Yeah, I know that UserBenchmarks site, but it's just the same as with most other comparisons of the 2 that they pretty much trade blows with maybe a slight advantage for the Radeon.

The Sapphire NITRO+ is sadly a bit out of the range for what I'm willing to pay for a GPU, not just now but in general. That thing is barely cheaper than the cheapest RTX 2070 Options. Guess I go for that Strix I found.

If I had kept my 1080p TV I would have kept the 970 for another year or two, I have it pretty much since those launched, and as I said above it is IMO still plenty capable in 1080p, but those higher resolutions are just killing that poor thing. Usually I try to use all of my components for as long as possible.

EDIT:

(04-04-2019, 04:54 PM)Massamo Wrote: could look at the GeForce GTX 1660 Ti as well

Sorry, didn't see that earlier. 1660Ti, while being a really good card, isn't a option for me. Benchmarks I looked at suggest that the Vega 56 is beating it pretty much across the board and I could get that one for the same pricee as a 1660Ti. And I really want that extra Oomph the more higher tiered models offer since I'd like to keep it around for a couple of years.
My personal, not-so-fancy blog about Theme Parks and related media with some other stuff sprinkled in.

#5. Post Posted: 04-05-2019, 01:49 PM
I have personally always had a soft spot for amd team red and would also say amd because hey like you said ray tracing is just not very appealing and as long as you can do 4k it makes sense to save some money and go with amd.
#6. Post Posted: 04-06-2019, 06:38 PM
I pulled the trigger on that Vega 64 Strix now. Should arrive early to mid next week. Let's see how well my 2nd Team Red card will do, the first one I had was still under the ATI Brand, a Radeon HD 5750 1GB it was IIRC, it served me well back then.

#7. Post Posted: 04-06-2019, 08:35 PM
Nice to hear you went with Ati again :D
Keep us posted on your thoughts on the card when it has some mileage!
Consoles owned:
Playstation, Playstation 2, PSP, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation Vita, Sega Saturn, Nintendo Switch.

Consoles wanted:
Sega Dreamcast, Wonderswan.

[Image: Felneth.png]
#8. Post Posted: 04-20-2019, 03:54 PM
(04-06-2019, 08:35 PM)Felneth Wrote: Nice to hear you went with Ati again :D
Keep us posted on your thoughts on the card when it has some mileage!

As Requested here are my thoughts and experiences after the first ~10 Days with my RX Vega 64.

As someone who owns a High-End Card for the first time I'm both really surprised and a bit disappointed by the build quality of this thing. As mentioned above I got myself the ROG Strix variant from Asus with a massive 3-Fan cooler that keeps the card quiet. So far I didn' t feel the need to undervolt it. The metal backplate looks great, but I'm a bit disappointed that the shroud around the fans is plastic, my previous Zotac GTX 970 had a metal shroud, it just felt more premium despite being a Mainstream card.

That being said the massive size is just a bit too much for current case (a Lian Li HTPC case), but then again I was never a big fan of my current case to begin with, it is way too restrictive for Air Flow, with the 970 I was at least able to Frankenstein a 120mm fan into the case to force air out of the CPU area through the HDD Caddy, with the much longer Vega Card this isn't possible anymore. This is now the perfect excuse to get myself a new case and an AIO Watercooler for my CPU in the near Future.

On the Software side I now settled to go with Manjaro Linux (Arch Based Distro) and the OS / Mesa Driver.

I started out on Ubuntu 18.04, but I guess I did something wrong while Purging the Nvidia Driver and the Moment I tried to Install the AMDGPU-Pro Driver the System was borked to the point that it wouldn't boot anymore.

I then played around with Pop!_OS 18.04 and 18.10. BTW, Pop!_OS is a great Ubuntu Variant for anyone that is looking for a Distro that comes with very little preinstalled Software. Since I first intended to use the proprietary Driver I opted for 18.04 since it allowed me to use AMDGPU-Pro. Performance with this Driver is great, but both Fullscreen Videos and games Tear like crazy with this Driver, even if you enable VSync in Game. I then played around a bit with 18.10 and the Mesa Driver, this Combo had pretty much the same Performance with the benefit of the Tearing being eliminated (I never seriously Benchmarked this, but Rise of the Tomb Raider in 4K Maxed out landed at around 45 FPS Average with both Combinations). Everything seemed fine until I had a Power Blackout while the System was running. For some Reason I could now only boot into the oldkernel Option of Pop!_OS, and that was harmful to my Performance.

I then opted to go with Manjaro since it uses a Rolling Release cycle which means that they implement new Kernel Versions and Features much faster than Ubuntu based Distros do, plus it makes it super easy to switch between Kernels in case a older one works better.

As for Performance: I'm super Happy with my choice. It won't push all games to 4K 60 FPS with everything maxed out, but the recently Ported DiRT 4 runs with the High Preset plus Advanced Ambient Occlusion and Screen Space Reflections enabled at a locked 60FPS in 2160p, Hitman maxed out, same resolution doesn't dip below 30, it feels like 40-50 most of the time, Doom 2016 with Ultra + Nightmare Settings enabled just misses out on being a locked 60FPS, and this one is being played through Proton mind you, so there is some Performance loss for the Translation layer. Hellblade, again maxed out and through Proton (Not officially Whitelisted) never goes below 30, but In have to say that it doesn't feel too great as the audio can easily go out of sync when there is some Shader chaching going on.

Overall I can highly recommend this Card for High Resolution gaming on Linux, especially with the Open Source Drivers,

#9. Post Posted: 04-20-2019, 04:42 PM
I bought an extremely cool (stock) case that had AMD logo on the front, on top of a red front of case,Black everywhere else, except a white scorpion on the side (large), I'm very happy with it. x3-120mm fans, 2x-90mm fans for cooling, this case was $65, and has plenty of room for upgrades. Only wish I'd bought a couple more! Best case ever. AMD inside of course, also. Thanks for the read, read .
Kindness and generosity are great qualities to share with others. Cool  
#10. Post Posted: 04-20-2019, 05:52 PM
Benchmarks don't mean shit the numbers don't stand up when your gaming
Jump To: