First time PS2 Modding and Emulation

#1. Post Posted: 04-29-2019, 08:04 PM
All right, So I've taken a good long vacation from modding (over a year). I came back to find all is not well or the same as it once was, new site and all.  Is all the old information and threads gone from the old site? Also, If I mention things that shouldn't be written on this site, my apologies.

Anyway, so I'm back and I wanted to finally take a crack at my PS2 that I've had sitting in my closet forever.  I ordered a HD Loader from ebay so I could put my games on a HDD.  I know there was another program that people use other than the HD loader, and was curious what you all think would be the best?
Also, I'm having a troubling time looking for Ps1 roms for the Ps2 emulator.  Any idea where the best place to look for those?  Or which is the best emulator for the ps1 games on the PS2?

I have found some roms and had a few questions about games that had multiple discs. Like which file do I need to use to make the game work the .bin or .cue? Do I need all game disc files in one folder or just the files from the final disc?  How do I go about playing disc 2 after completing disc 1, are there any special tricks that I need to know?

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks in advance.
#2. Post Posted: 04-30-2019, 11:41 PM
(04-29-2019, 08:04 PM)Col. Mustard Wrote: All right, So I've taken a good long vacation from modding (over a year). I came back to find all is not well or the same as it once was, new site and all.  Is all the old information and threads gone from the old site? Also, If I mention things that shouldn't be written on this site, my apologies.

Anyway, so I'm back and I wanted to finally take a crack at my PS2 that I've had sitting in my closet forever.  I ordered a HD Loader from ebay so I could put my games on a HDD.  I know there was another program that people use other than the HD loader, and was curious what you all think would be the best?
Also, I'm having a troubling time looking for Ps1 roms for the Ps2 emulator.  Any idea where the best place to look for those?  Or which is the best emulator for the ps1 games on the PS2?

I have found some roms and had a few questions about games that had multiple discs. Like which file do I need to use to make the game work the .bin or .cue? Do I need all game disc files in one folder or just the files from the final disc?  How do I go about playing disc 2 after completing disc 1, are there any special tricks that I need to know?

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Right , all you need is a FreeMCBoot Card, which is the exploit on a memory card.

Beings as you have ordered HDLoader (Ancient but handy) you can use this to make a FMCB Card yourself once you have the disks. I own these too. Ask again about this when you have HDLoader...

The software you use PC End is called WinHIIP and is used via a IDE Ribbon cable connected to motherboard or some sort of USB IDE Caddy/Enclosure. Direct connected to PC is fastest method for installing game ISO's

An IDE HDD should have it's Jumper set to CABLE SELECT. (CS) Reason is IDE leads are idiots... Never use SLAVE on a PS2, it don't work ! MASTER can cause "issues" with older OS's if they fight for dominance.

Emulators really SUCK on PS2 and I wouldn't get your hopes up...

PS1 emulation, you'll need to brush up on the system first as it's not as eay as just burning a PS1 game or installing it to HDD...

Quote:I have found some roms and had a few questions about games that had multiple discs. Like which file do I need to use to make the game work the .bin or .cue? Do I need all game disc files in one folder or just the files from the final disc?  How do I go about playing disc 2 after completing disc 1, are there any special tricks that I need to know?

Right PS2 side
WinHIIP/HDD support CUE/BIN CD Based Games or ISO Images of games. You do not extract these or do anything else with them other than keep safe Smile

CUE/BIN - You Always load/burn/install the CUE file. This handles the BIN file...
You can image your own PS2 disks using WinHIIP and PC DVD drive or Import directly with HDLoader

HDL is a VERY old system and is hardly used anymore, however having the original disks makes hacking your PS2 a lot simpler as all you do is

Plug HDD into Network Adapter
Insert into PS2 and do up the two screws
Turn on PS2, Insert HDLoader DVD (You'll get two disks CD/DVD - CD is never used)
It will detect your HDD and tell you it needs formatting, click Ok to format the drive
After a minute, you'll have a HDD readable by PS2

Now the semi-complex bit

Turn off PS2 and remove the HDD
Connect to your PC via IDE Lead or USB IDE Enclosure and load WinHIIP
Install an ISO called the "FMCB Noobie Pack" to the HDD (I'll upload this tomorrow)
Unplug the HDD - Power down PC before removing IDE LEAD ! 
Plug back into PS2 and load HDLoader
You'll now see the ISO you just installed. Load it
Select FreeMCBoot install from the menu
Follow what the instructions say Smile

you'll need a 8meg memory card , pref SONY brand and not MADCATS to create a FMCB card.
But once done you can eject the HDL disk and put safe
Plug the new written FMCB card into SLOT 2
reset PS2

You now have a hacked system Smile
From this point you'll see the browser menu with a few new programs included
OPL (OpenPS2Loader) is the ongoing HDD games loader that is hugely compatible with over 2500 games+
SMS (Simple Media System) is a MP3 player, AVI video player (XVID) This can read USB FAT32 formatted HDD's if plugged into PS2
ESR is for loading patched BURNED disks, not required
uLaunch - The Swiss Army Knife of the hack. This is incredibly handy and you'll learn more when you get to it.

I am quite a PS2 but so feel free to ask more questions

ZX81v2

Jump To: