Retrobrighting just got easier!

#1. Post Posted: 05-05-2019, 03:21 PM

This is a revelation for me, getting all those ingredients and taking apart my yellowed systems was far too much hassle.  Hope in comes in handy!
Favourite system of all time - Sega Saturn

Games room set up with 21 Consoles and 4 Computers!

My gaming blog 
Load Error
 - recent post - Video - Mario 64 playthrough pt 2 Smile
#2. Post Posted: 05-05-2019, 05:58 PM
I have a yellowed Super Famicom controller so i'll give it a go next time its sunny. I'll take some before and after pics and post em here to show how it goes.
#3. Post Posted: 05-07-2019, 08:22 AM
This was something I kind of accidentally discovered on my own after watching 8-bit Guys video trying different 'retrobrighting' techniques a while back...
I'd clean the affected item thoroughly using diluted household bleach (using neat bleach, and brushed with a toothbrush on heavily discoloured areas) then leave outside in direct sunlight to dry (or in direct sunlight on a windowsill when the weather was bad). I'd re-wash with diluted bleach, and repeat the process for 2 or 3 days.
I kind of presumed the 'brightening' of the plastic to be a reaction of the bleach, the UV, and the warmth of the direct sunlight (as 8-bit Guys video sort of intimated that temperature was a contributing factor), but knowing that sunlight alone is enough is a game changer.
#4. Post Posted: 05-19-2019, 03:45 PM
(05-05-2019, 05:58 PM)Biggsy666 Wrote: I have a yellowed Super Famicom controller so i'll give it a go next time its sunny. I'll take some before and after pics and post em here to show how it goes.

Two days in bright sun and it has lightened the yellowing only the very tiniest bit. I'm gonna keep going when the sun comes back out here in Northern England. So far its not enough to show up in pics but i'll post em when i'm done.
#5. Post Posted: 05-26-2019, 09:37 AM
After a couple of sunny days here are the results:

BEFORE :

AFTER :

Its a lot lighter than it was, oddly the small piece of masking tape didn't seem to stop the process and even that part seems much lighter than it was although you can just see where it was.
#6. Post Posted: 05-28-2019, 11:14 AM
I'm intrigued to know if the brittleness of yellowed plastic is also reversed via this "purely UV" method of retrobriting - reports seem to suggest that the peroxide method definitely reduces the fragility of the plastic.
#7. Post Posted: 05-28-2019, 08:17 PM
^ Does not seem to be any less brittle on a basic inspection. I've taken it apart to paint up as its still a bit yellow and i would say there's no noticeable brittleness to it. Worth a go if you have something to experiment with imo. I'd love to seem some more people give it a go and post results back here. I just can't understand why it seems to be less yellow under where the masking tape was lol.

Jump To: