Need Help Fixing An Overheating Laptop

#1. Post Posted: 07-05-2019, 01:49 PM
Sad 
Hi everyone, I'm trying to fix this really old Compaq Presario 2100 laptop from 2003 (I know, I hate laptops too lol) that was originally designed for XP and apparently for Windows 2000 too and well I've decided to install Windows 98 SE on it (yeah Giant Mess but Successfully done) So far everything is going well, I haven't had any hardware issues, the OS Integration was better than expected and it recognizes all of the PC components inside, the graphics and the sound drivers works great, but the CPU seems to grow hotter and hotter every passing minute when I turn ON the computer also making the CPU fan very noisy and louder. This, of course don't happen with Windows XP installed, instead it's really quiet and cool.
I checked the processes on W98 using a nice task manager and I just saw this "idle" process that was using 100% of the CPU capacity and I'm aware this is normal but not the cause of the problem, maybe a hidden process I cannot see? still.. I have no idea what's causing the overheating problem, is it probably a hardware/driver chipset or CPU compatibility issue with 9x systems? should I need to apply some kind of patch? Funny thing this also happens when I enter into the BIOS and leave it there for some time, but I think this is normal on most computers, not my first one  Undecided  I wonder is there a relation there?

Moving on -> I reinstalled XP to see if it's a dust issue but it is not, CPU was cool enough and quiet, then again I put back Windows 98 and I am having the same overheating problem, kinda ironic right?.. It hasn't shut itself off during any demanding task yet so I'm not that worried, I also haven't got the Blue Screen Of Dead yet, I already replaced the dead battery and the BIOS battery as well.. it has a really basic BIOS interface that I've just upgraded but it doesn't have any kind of CPU functions or RAM tweaking tools.

I'm out of ideas here and I am afraid to fry the processor, I don't want to completely open the laptop, (although it might be dirty and all and that could be the most obvious cause) but it couldn't be cuz it doesn't happen with it's original OS (XP). I was thinking of installing Windows 98 because it's less demanding and mostly for the PC retro gaming experience with PC games and God knows I hate Virtual Machines XD Maybe if I lower the clock it will stabilize, yes.. I know it's not good to OC with programs lol, I was reading on the web that this might be solved by applying some CPU patch made only for 9x Systems on modern computers or something but I honestly don't know what to think and that's why I'm here asking u guys cuz I know there's a lot of smart fellas in this place that knows a lot about these stuff. Any suggestions will be appreciated Smile

Some of the HW specs are:

CPU: Mobile AMD Athlon™ XP2400+
Processor Speed: 1795 MHz
RAM: 191MB
Internal HDD: 30 GB I think is an IDE drive but I'm not sure, its very old
Graphics:  ATI Radeon IGP 320M (UMA Video Memory is set to "Auto")
PC Cards: PCMCIA (I honestly don't know the chipset's manufacturer)
File System: 32-bit (ENABLED)

For a more detailed information I'll leave you this page

https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-compaq-...100/specs/

I know some of you will joke about this saying that I should just throw it away and burn it  Rolleyes
I don't like doing that 
I've done questionable things.
#2. Post Posted: 07-05-2019, 01:57 PM
Maybe try this?
#3. Post Posted: 07-05-2019, 07:17 PM
Windows 98 doesn't support the energy saving technologies present in "modern" CPUs, so the CPU Is always in its "maximum power" mode (just like when it's in the BIOS, as you already said).
Try to find and install the "powernow!" drivers for w98.
#4. Post Posted: 07-06-2019, 12:48 AM
The system idle process is just that. It's not actually utilizing the processor by the percentage it shows, it's just an indicator of what isn't being actively used.

[Image: b_ldnt2.gif]

The Homepage of the Oldternet

Your destination on the Oldternation Mega-Road.
#5. Post Posted: 07-06-2019, 04:12 AM
Change the paste on the chip.
Save The Best For Last!
[Image: Banner.png]
#6. Post Posted: 07-06-2019, 05:10 AM
Thanks for the quick reply you guys!
Yeah GamingWizardC75 I guess I'm gonna have to change the CPU paste and clean it up a notch, its a very old machine, thanks for the advice Yes
MisterXiado Totally agreed, it's nothing to worry about is just a harmless and common process on these kind of systems, thanks!
shiva2004 bro you totally saved my day that's exactly what I'm looking for, I'm gonna give it a try and I'll let you know, thanks a lot! Yes
Moandain thank you man, not bad it's a really great tutorial but for now I just wanna stick with old 98 OS to run some old PC games. I'll sure give that a try sometime
Cheers everyone! Have a great weekend
#7. Post Posted: 07-06-2019, 06:39 AM
Considering the Hardware you got there I would go with Windows 2000 on that machine. Pretty much all Win 9x games run on it and it is a way more stable OS.

Only real downside is that Win 2000 is NT based and therefore doesn't have a real DOS Mode out of the box, instead it has a DOS-Shell which essentially is a Emulation layer for DOS Programs. This shouldn't be that much of an issue as the vast majority of later DOS Games (I would say ~1996 up to the end) do run fine in this DOS Shell and older DOS Games run way too fast to be playable on that CPU anyway.
My personal, not-so-fancy blog about Theme Parks and related media with some other stuff sprinkled in.

https://www.dive-loop.com/
#8. Post Posted: 07-06-2019, 10:25 AM
(07-06-2019, 06:39 AM)Sabkahn Wrote: Considering the Hardware you got there I would go with Windows 2000 on that machine. Pretty much all Win 9x games run on it and it is a way more stable OS.

Only real downside is that Win 2000 is NT based and therefore doesn't have a real DOS Mode out of the box, instead it has a DOS-Shell which essentially is a Emulation layer for DOS  Programs. This shouldn't be that much of an issue as the vast majority of later DOS Games (I would say ~1996 up to the end) do run fine in this DOS Shell and older DOS Games run way too fast to be playable on that CPU anyway.

You have a good point there, I haven't discard yet that possibility, and it's totally valid considering Win2k will provide more stability and compatibility, but you'll be able to play less games. Let's face it, Windows 98 sucks ass XD but almost any game will run on it. The other problem is that most DOS games make direct calls to the sound hardware, and Windows 2000 doesn't allow programs to do this, sadly, and that could be a huge pain in the butt  :/ that's why I've decided to go with 98 instead. I honestly appreciate your suggestion Sabkahn Yes
If I fail, and I'd most probably do, running any DOS game on this computer with 98 I'll have no choice but to give W2k a try and forget about this whole mess I got myself in.
#9. Post Posted: 07-06-2019, 12:31 PM
a. Change Paste (Arctic Silver 5 >
https://www.arctic.ac
)
b. Check Fan voltage if possible. Or swap the fan. Duff fan maybe
c. Heat sensors could be going kaka...
( Your laptop may use thermal pads, Site above handles those too :) )
Laptops do run hot, this one I have is hotter than my base ever was.
Main thing is the heat compound paste. You should always change this on old PC's/hardware if possible as it dries out and basically turns to dust... Also if you ain't done this before, watch some well rated tube vids on how to change paste and HOW MUCH TO USE.... Seriously...
Noobies and Paste = Mess and it's a nightmare to remove...
(Not saying you are)

BSOD on 98/XP can be several things, some still unknown to this day (Even by M$)
Any Idea on the BSOD reason ? (Top line of screen if I remember right)
Memory
CPU
PSU
can all cause BSOD's

Also check the multiplier is set correctly and not Overclocked ! (Old hardware usually gets messed with...)

Moandain's vids are worth watching :)
#10. Post Posted: 07-14-2019, 12:00 AM
Guys I've solved the heating problem just by using a fantastic CPU throttle tool that I found here if you wanna take that a look:
http://www.oldskool.org/pc/throttle
its very easy to use.
So, what do you think? Is it safe or just a hoax? BTW thanks a lot for all the advices, you are awesome! I'm very glad I got this fixed, I feel ready to play good old Win98 games now Smile
This here is just what I was looking for
[Image: IMG-20190713-200440.jpg]
Cheers

Jump To:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help! My laptop reboot failed. Zahir 3 855 12-04-2018, 07:55 PM
Last Post: Kremiso