Right side of PS3 controller not working.
Started by Nux

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

2 posts in this topic
Nux
Site Supporter

Trade Count: (0)
459 posts 41 threads Joined: Oct 2018

07-26-2020, 02:49 AM -
So.. long story short, I have this black Dualshock PS3 controller which has a peculiar problem, the triangle, square, circle, the X, R1 and R2 buttons dont seem to work at all, ive tried cleaning the infamous contacts lots of times, I added some cardboard between them to make good pressure and it still they wont work, i used alcohol with those things to clean your ears on each contact, now.. the left side works perfectly fine tho, the select and start button both work, even the PS3 button work too, they dont seem to show any problems so far, so i guess this is a contact issue, the problem began when i start using a heavy sand paper to clean the membrane contacts and the main MOBO contacts plus adding a little alcohol with an isotope, so i guess i messed that up, i may have screwed the flex contacts, i press the mentioned buttons and they just dont work, ive read theres some sort of resistors between the lines inside the membrane thing, but im not sure if thats the case here, anyways i have a faulty ps3 controller and i would like to know your opinions. Battery is fine, usb port is fine, usb cable also fine, LEDS work when recharging.. i will show u some screenshots so u can get the big picture.

[Image: ds3-wc-4-lg.jpg]
[Image: MSU-V3-5-X-1-12-Top.jpg]

[Image: ps3-membrane-2.jpg]
as u can see, there are 3 factors here, so... what am i doing wrong then? what should i look for? did i messed up those contacts by using a rough sand paper? or is it the right resistor? i need it to play windows games and/or emulators and God knows i love ps3 controllers, mostly because they have great dual joysticks and layout,and i cannot afford to buy another controller. My intention is to use it mostly for emulational purposes only, like for example PS2, PS1 or PSX games on my Windows computer, but without the right section working at all its just impossible to play, please can someone help me here or give me a hint? thanks. BTW i apologize my grammar, my KB is in Spanish lol.
In Retro we Trust
SasaPinjic
FirstClassScumbag

509 posts 11 threads Joined: Oct 2018

07-26-2020, 07:23 AM -
Yes, i belive you mess up by rubbing it to hard and you tear some connection ,why in the world you used heavy sand paper for cleaning this peace of junk,it is practicly parer as well and it tears quite easy?

[Image: ps3-membrane-2.jpg]

Now, my expirience is with PS2 controlleres, but i had ones with same thin crap , there is no help to them as far i know when they brake, older models with classic sturdy and solid frame can be fixed if you find where contact is teared by soldering contact back,or making new conection to short circuit damaged part.
All i can offer is tip for future:
Use something smooth and gentle next time for cleaning sensitive parts, like simple earcleaners with alcohol :

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3...%3DApi&f=1]
Nux
Site Supporter

459 posts 41 threads Joined: Oct 2018

07-26-2020, 02:08 PM -
yeah thats what i thought, using rough sand paper to clean the contacts was a bad idea indeed, thanks for the advice man, luckily i have another ps3 controller laying around which ive never used b4 but its also broken, i will use the isotopes to clean the contacts this time XD cheers
In Retro we Trust

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fist not working on Sega Saturn Emulator Zahir 3 858 05-01-2019, 04:29 PM
Last Post: gamegeek
  Old Games are not working on Window 10!!!! HELP!!! Zahir 2 977 04-23-2019, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Massamo
  Controller inventory (what are you looking for?) Moandain 4 1,260 02-21-2019, 02:31 AM
Last Post: dejang8722
  Downloads working ? oldskoolgamer 4 1,792 11-06-2018, 12:41 AM
Last Post: Se7enSins