Advice for HDMI upgrading my old consoles

#1. Post Posted: 11-04-2018, 08:22 AM
Question 
I've been wanting to upgrade the visual quality of my Dreamcast, Xbox, PS2, Wii and SNES for quite a while, but I only have HD TVs on hand nowadays, and I'd like to go to HDMI.

I've been hearing about POUND Technologies for a while (
https://www.poundtechnology.com/products
) and see that they have Xbox and Dreamcast cables already available, with PS2 and SNES cables coming soon. I've heard some good things about the existing sold cables, but I wanted y'all's opinions on them, or if you had a better recommendation on a viable HDMI upgrade for each of my consoles.

Thanks in advance!
Long Live Retro Zone
#2. Post Posted: 11-04-2018, 08:25 AM
Iv had this box for my Dreamcast:

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

and honestly it's just been great. No problems and super easy to use. I don't have much knowledge for the other sadly but for the DC this thing has you covered pretty damn good!
#3. Post Posted: 11-04-2018, 08:27 AM
I've always heard VGA boxes were the way to go, but I for some reason didn't buy one during the last time period they were reasonably priced (imo at least). Also good ones are difficult to find on amazon/ebay in the same criteria.
Long Live Retro Zone
#4. Post Posted: 11-04-2018, 08:32 AM
For the Wii you can grab one of those Wii2HDMI Adapters, they plug in the A/V Port of the System, have a build in Upscaler to 720p or 1080p (You can Switch that) and you can use the 480p mode of the System. Using one for years and could never notice some sort of Input Lag.
#5. Post Posted: 11-04-2018, 12:44 PM
PS2 without spending a shit load, I don't know of a cheap way of getting true HDMI output on a PS2. Most suffer lag/bottleneck...

If anyone HAS a working method of HDMI on a PS2 that is proven and the bits can be purchased without a mortgage, let us know (Let me know!)

ZX81v2
#6. Post Posted: 11-04-2018, 12:50 PM
Also, don't forget that channels like MetalJesusRocks and My Life In Gaming produce great content for getting the best possible quality out of your aging hardware.

MetalJesusRocks

XBox HDMI cable

PS2 HDMI adapter

General video on this topic from 2015

Dreamcast HDMI cable

My Life in Gaming

Getting the Best Picture from your Snes

RGB and Framemeister(2014)

Sorry, I can't remember what was actually talked about much in these videos, but hopefully they're of use to you if they cover options you haven't already considered. It does start to get a bit pricey though, iirc, especially when you look at framemeisters and so on.

Hope that helps!
#7. Post Posted: 11-04-2018, 01:08 PM
(11-04-2018, 12:44 PM)ZX81v2 Wrote: PS2 without spending a shit load, I don't know of a cheap way of getting true HDMI output on a PS2. Most suffer lag/bottleneck...

If anyone HAS a working method of HDMI on a PS2 that is proven and the bits can be purchased without a mortgage, let us know (Let me know!)

ZX81v2

The PS2toHDMI Adapters are cheap, but a very mixed bag. As they don´t upscale you need a TV that accepts 240p and 480i (or the PAL equivalent I always forget what is precisely) or you are SOL for most of the library. Personaly I never noticed any Lag, but then again I don´t really play games tat rely on very precise Inputs anyway. Highest Output mode they support is 480p, so no  1080i on those 4 or 5 games that support it.
#8. Post Posted: 11-04-2018, 03:25 PM
If you want good pic, but don't mind RGB cables, I found that using it with a set to be great. Not HDMI, but for the price of 8.99, was well worth it.

HDMI isn't even that big of a deal on the PS2, not too many games get any real shine from the boost in clarity. But that's just my opinion. Check out MJR's video on the PS2 adapter suggested above.
#9. Post Posted: 11-04-2018, 03:39 PM
(11-04-2018, 12:50 PM)IconicSpatulaJuice Wrote: Also, don't forget that channels like MetalJesusRocks and My Life In Gaming produce great content for getting the best possible quality out of your aging hardware.

MetalJesusRocks

XBox HDMI cable

PS2 HDMI adapter

Dreamcast HDMI cable

My Life in Gaming

Sorry, I can't remember what was actually talked about much in these videos, but hopefully they're of use to you if they cover options you haven't already considered. It does start to get a bit pricey though, iirc, especially when you look at framemeisters and so on.

Hope that helps!

Both of these channels are EXACTLY the channels I've gone to for this kinda stuff, so it's kinda funny to see them reitorated here. If y'all back up their opinions, I'll take them well, then.

I just don't really want to pay over like $60 just to use HDMI on my consoles that I don't even play 24/7. Maybe someday I'll get an OSSC and/or HDMI mod my consoles, but until that day....
Long Live Retro Zone
#10. Post Posted: 11-04-2018, 06:43 PM
(11-04-2018, 03:39 PM)magikalf Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 12:50 PM)IconicSpatulaJuice Wrote: Also, don't forget that channels like MetalJesusRocks and My Life In Gaming produce great content for getting the best possible quality out of your aging hardware.

MetalJesusRocks

XBox HDMI cable

PS2 HDMI adapter

Dreamcast HDMI cable

My Life in Gaming

Hope that helps!

Both of these channels are EXACTLY the channels I've gone to for this kinda stuff, so it's kinda funny to see them reitorated here. If y'all back up their opinions, I'll take them well, then.

I just don't really want to pay over like $60 just to use HDMI on my consoles that I don't even play 24/7. Maybe someday I'll get an OSSC and/or HDMI mod my consoles, but until that day....

While I do think the videos are great, I didn't mean to imply that I've followed their advice personally! The only vid that ever really influenced me was the
Adam Karalik video
about options for PS2 (I ended up going with PS2 component cables and was not disappointed).

Jump To:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any addicted to games with upgrading elements in it? Nux 7 664 03-28-2019, 08:22 PM
Last Post: MisterXiado