Rate this topic
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

2 posts in this topic
JD0200
Alien

Trade Count: (0)
8 posts 5 threads Joined: Oct 2018

12-01-2018, 02:53 AM -
We meet again, Mr. Bond... Whoops, wrong introduction! 

Good morning/afternoon/evening once again to everyone in RetroZone land! My name is JD, and it's time once again for a Game Review! Today, I'm going to be reviewing the second to last game in the Splinter Cell series, and since we're going backwards, this game will be Pandora Tomorrow! With that being said, load up your SC Pistols, put on your goggles, and ready your SC-20K, because it's time to head back to the front!

The year is 2006. It has been two years since the assassination of Kombayn Nikoladze and the halting of "The Ark". The United States has established a military presence in the newly-independent East Timor in order to help the East Timorese military combat the many Indonesian Guerrilla militas, with one being the most prominant: The Darah Dan Doa (Blood and Prayer), led by one Suhadi Sadono. Recently, Sadono has grown resentful of the U.S. presence in East Timor and organizes a suicide bombing, and the eventual capture of the U.S. Embassy in Dili, also capturing Douglass Shetland, an old friend of NSA Agent Sam Fisher. This capture has prompted the involvement of the NSA and with it, Third Echelon. But the capture of the Embassy and Shetland is just the beginning of a bigger scheme...

Ah yes, 2004; The year when Mark Zuckerberg created Facebook, when George W. Bush was re-elected, and of course, when Sam Fisher made his return to game consoles! Originally, Pandora Tomorrow was called "Shadow Strike", but the developers at Ubisoft Shanghai decided not to stick with that, went with "Pandora Tomorrow", and the rest is history! The game has changed significantly since the original: Medical Kits are now no longer an inventory item, instead choosing to mount them onto a wall, (Which is fine by me, but we all have our opinions Wink) Sam can now do a "SWAT turn", allowing him to put his back to a wall, and do a turn from one side of a wall to the other, which is useful for remaining undetected, (And trust me: It'll be VERY useful later into the game Smile) and other new cool features that you'll be better off experiencing for yourself!

Michael Ironside reprises his iconic role as Agent Sam Fisher, while the voice of Lambert, Don Jordan, is replaced by Dennis Haysbert (Once again, YES; THAT guy!), and the voice of Anna Grimsdottir, Claudia Besso, is replaced by Adriana Anderson. (which was a bad choice in my opinion, but I suppose it was probably "contract issues" and the like Wink) Lalo Schifrin composes the music, taking over for Michael Richard Plowman, who conducted the music in the previous game. 

Pandora Tomorrow was released for multiple consoles: The Xbox, the PC, the Game Boy Advance, Mobile phones, the PlayStation 2, the GameCube, and an eventual remaster as part of the "Splinter Cell Trilogy" released for the PS3 in 2011. (I recommend grabbing THAT if you wanna play the first three SC games as they appeared on the PC! Wink) The game was first released for the Xbox on the 23rd of March in 2004, and then followed onto the PS2 about 3 months later in June, and then onto the GC in July, one month later. That's all I have to say about this game, so read on to find out if I recommend Pandora Tomorrow!

FINAL VERDICT: PANDORA TOMORROW

Pandora Tomorrow may not look as good as the Splinter Cell games of today, and may feel weird control-wise, but it is still very enjoyable to play! Even though it will take some time to get used to the controls, you will feel like a master of stealth once you do! You will also have to rely on the sound, which at times, does sound low quality, but is amazing as well! All in all, the game is very good, minus a few gripes! This game gets a 9.1/10; I recommend you play this if you are a die-hard fan of Splinter Cell, or just a fan of stealth games in general!

This brings an end to another review! Next week will be the conclusion of the Splinter Cell series with the first game in the series, aptly titled: "Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell"! So be on the lookout for that! Also, I'd like to once again advertise "Alma's Gaming Website"! She posts a new game almost every day, and lemme tell you: Some of these games will take you back! I'll leave her website down below! So, until next weekend, stay safe and enjoy your current weekend! Big Grin

ALMA'S GAMING WEBSITE:

http://almagaming.wolfpack.xyz/
AlmaElma
Gamer

107 posts 17 threads Joined: Oct 2018

12-01-2018, 03:01 AM -
Nice little review of it :3
Rodion2018
Gamer

36 posts 9 threads Joined: Nov 2018

12-01-2018, 04:10 AM -
Sorry, but it's a very poor review. Pandora Tomorrow is a train wreck and a game developed with very little effort:

- They didn't add anything to improve the gameplay and make it more interesting compared to first game
- Even though it is a newer game the graphics are WORSE than in the first game, with some very poor quality textures, low quality character models, and they reused some of the assets from the first game (bodies in the cryogenics lab still have markings on the head from the first mission in the first game), the levels are also visually very ugly and poorly designed
- the music is very bad and audio quality is a disaster, like it was made for Nintendo DS game, every character in game sounds like a generic American even though you are supposed to be in Indonesia
- many levels are just a variation on the levels from the first game even with similar objectives and obstacles, while the submarine mission has also entire rooms taken directly from Vselka missions from the first game
- mission information text is all over the place with wrong plot information that never happens, it is very poorly written with little effort

It is pretty obvious this was a cheap cash grab made by a different developer, while the main developer was working on Chaos Theory. It's only saving grace was an interesting multi-player, but single player is a huge disappointment.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Company Review Atlus Moandain 5 286 05-16-2020, 12:17 PM
Last Post: SasaPinjic
  Namco A Company Review Moandain 3 691 07-18-2019, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Biggsy666
  Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force Review JD0200 3 1,139 03-26-2019, 11:33 PM
Last Post: piratetar
  Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory Review JD0200 5 1,967 11-27-2018, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Gamerone
  Splinter Cell: Double Agent Review JD0200 3 1,338 10-26-2018, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Kremiso