Donate Home Forums Chat Search Member List Calendar

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
burned sega cd games have scrambled audio
I'm trying to burn some Sega CD games from cue/bin files.  They work fine in kega fusion, but when I try to play them in the sega CD the audio comes out as scrambled.   Anybody have any suggestions for how this can be fixed?
I would start by changing the burn speed.

What speed are you using, what burner/media etc.
(12-02-2018, 11:47 PM)CMR779 Wrote: I'm trying to burn some Sega CD games from cue/bin files.  They work fine in kega fusion, but when I try to play them in the sega CD the audio comes out as scrambled.   Anybody have any suggestions for how this can be fixed?

If I remember rightly you need sega cd cue maker and the audio needs to be in mp3 format. Or wmv.....Id need to look it up.  Then you would have a cue sheet then the iso then the music files. Then it could be burned and work on  real hardware.
(12-03-2018, 09:31 AM)Biggsy666 Wrote: I would start by changing the burn speed.

What speed are you using, what burner/media etc.

I'm using Memorex CD-Rs.  They work great for everything else I use them on.  I don't have any problem with playstation, Dreamcast, or 3DO games.  I tried burning at 16x, I read somewhere it was the optimal speed.  I think I might have bad dumps actually.  I noticed that the audio track for one of the games I was trying did stop early on emulator.  I'm going to try some from replayers.org next.  I've had the same problem with both Snatcher and Popful Mail.  Both were downloaded as cue/bin files.  I've seen the cue/iso/mp3 setups, but I'm not ready to jump down that rabbit hole yet.
(12-03-2018, 10:27 PM)Preston2011 Wrote:
(12-02-2018, 11:47 PM)CMR779 Wrote: I'm trying to burn some Sega CD games from cue/bin files.  They work fine in kega fusion, but when I try to play them in the sega CD the audio comes out as scrambled.   Anybody have any suggestions for how this can be fixed?

If I remember rightly you need sega cd cue maker and the audio needs to be in mp3 format. Or wmv.....Id need to look it up.  Then you would have a cue sheet then the iso then the music files. Then it could be burned and work on  real hardware.

MP3 should give you problems on real hardware. To my knowledge, the only CDDA file format that the Sega CD can read is WAV.
There you go. I said I would need to look it up thanks Mr357!
Thanks for all the replies. Now that I've mulled over it a bit I seem to remember the Sega CD being problematic to burn games for. I wonder why regular cue/bin files won't work?
(12-06-2018, 12:33 AM)CMR779 Wrote: Thanks for all the replies. Now that I've mulled over it a bit I seem to remember the Sega CD being problematic to burn games for. I wonder why regular cue/bin files won't work?

It's got to be a bad rip, bad disc(s), or bad burn. The Sega CD ideally takes cue/bin sets, but I *think* cue/iso/wav would work as well. I know that it does for the Saturn, but I have yet to test it for the Sega CD. When I used to upload Sega CD games on TIZ, I would always include both a cue/bin set and cue/iso/wav set, and recommend that the cue/bin be used on real hardware while the cue/iso/wav would generally be equal or better for emulators. What games are you trying to burn? I could PM you a link to one or more rips that I know for sure work, and you could at narrow the problem down from there if it persists. One thing I will say is that I've always burned my Sega CD games at 4x on good quality discs, but I think I have used one that I burned at 8x with success. In theory, it shouldn't make much difference, but lower is better with these old CD consoles.
Thanks, I was trying to get snatcher to work. That's enough for now. I tried slowing it down before to 16x, but I'll drop it down further to see if that helps. If the one you link me to doesn't work, I'll know it's something in my process, like the speed or the burning software itself. Speaking of which, I've been using Brasero to try and burn these games. It's worked fine before on Dreamcast and PS1 stuff, but I'll take suggestions for other burning software too. I've got Discjuggler on my XP machine also. Maybe I'll try that.
Ok, I don't see anyway to edit my last post so I'll just make a new one. Sorry for the double post. Anyway, I've got it figured out. Apparently it has something to do with linux and/or linux drivers. I installed Discjuggler on my XP partition (same machine and drive) and everything burns perfectly. Thanks for everyone's help here. It was much appreciated.