Donate Home Forums Chat Search Member List Calendar

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
32 vs 64 bit
32 vs 64 bit
still today cant reach to see clearly the differences in terms of real running
i sadly see that also 80% of new indie games requires a damned 64 (if commodore i was ok lol)
i cant try Gods Remastered ie as Amiga old nostalgic (btw watching videos seems the usual remake turd)
Apart the double settings in the Windows folders and the fact that one project starts only for, please explain me better what change in terms of real running
Fuck you cruel world Smile ,seems they are boycotting also the 32bits
[Image: cfa05c5c3b4dbaadfb5b25993f2823d7.jpg]
Definitly C-64 !  Heart
It's a performance thing. CPU can handle more RAM and stuff.
(12-05-2018, 04:57 PM)Domspun Wrote: It's a performance thing. CPU can handle more RAM and stuff.

Not the CPU, the OS itself can handle mor RAM.

The old x86 aka 32bit Architecture is limited to somewhere around 3.5 to 4 GB of RAM depending on the RAM used, the OS, luck and wether your last scrifice to the the Overlords was acceptet or not. 64bit can handle much more than that without trouble and IIRC correctly CPU´s just work more efficently. I remember that back in the day the PC Version of Guitar Hero 3 ran much smoother and with higher framerates on a 64bit OS than it did on the same machine on 32bit OS.
Windows 32 bit has a RAM limit of 3.5GB/4GB. With 64bit CPUs, Windows XP 64bit OS appeared allowing almost an infinite amount of RAM.

At the beginning there was no real difference. Normal use was not impacted. 64bit allows more memory to be allocated in the system and with it, endless possibilities. Specially for making computer models, autocad software, CG Movie Studios, etc.

64bit Gaming started with Crysis, when Crytek launched an update for the game including a native 64bit code executable. All the PCs at the time struggled to ran Crysis at an acceptable performance level. With a 64bit OS running a native 64 executable, more memory than before was allowed for bandwidth and texture processing giving it a slight boost in performance.

It is important to notice that 64bit OS can run 32bits apps, but not viceversa. And to enjoy 64bits benefits, you need to run a 64bit executale. With Windows 7, 64bit OS started to became more mainstream. PCs started to pack more than 4GB of RAM and games started to rely more on the additional RAM available.

A Computer in 32bit with 2Gb of RAM can run Windows 7/10 relatively well for moderate gaming. But for 64bit, it requires at least 4Gb to enjoy 64bit the performance benefits. For example for Dulphin emulator, there is no more new 32bits builds. Under a 32bit OS, the performance will have a limit no matter the hardware. But under 64bit OS performance is endless depending on hardware as it should be. That is why developers are giving up 32bit apps.

In Short, 32bit executables are outdated and bottlenecked by today standards. There are no real benefits to write in 32bit anymore, at least for Games and Emulation. Unless for some reason the consumer target are ppl with 32bit old operating systems.
64bit = double the registers that 32bit.
(12-05-2018, 06:54 PM)ultimatek Wrote: 64bit Gaming started with Crysis, when Crytek launched an update for the game including a native 64bit code executable. All the PCs at the time struggled to ran Crysis at an acceptable performance level. With a 64bit OS running a native 64 executable, more memory than before was allowed for bandwidth and texture processing giving it a slight boost in performance.

Crysis wasn´t the first game that had a native 64bit Version. Far Cry, also from Crytek, got a 64bit Version via a Patch, aside from it being a native 64bit executable it also upgraded the visuals beyond the 32bit Version.

Shadow Ops: Red Mercury also had a native 64bit executable on it´s Disc, but it wasn´t insatlled by default and you had to copy it manualy. It also Improved the Visuals.

In both cases the visual Upgrades where mainly used as a marketing Gimmick in an attempt to sell early 64bit consumer Hardware and OS`s, the visual upgrades where nothing special and could easily be achieved on 32bit Hardware as well.

Colin McRae Rally 2005 also got a 64bit Patch, wich can be used to make the game easily compatible with modern Systems.

Not sure if Half-Life 2 got it´s native 64bit Version before or after Crysis, but that one was "just" an upgrade to native 64bit support and had no gimmicky visual upgrades.

Though I would agree that Crysis was the first game where you got a real benefit from using the 64bit Version.
i know my 2010 crap system can handle also a 64 bit os
but i'm shorter in RAM (3 GB) so i presume to have one foot in and one out in this reasoning
i'm also quite sure that a lot of the new programs that i would like to try would work great also on 32 bit
But i have also take your points, guys, thanx for the explains

@ZX81v2 wrote :
Quote:64bit = double the registers that 32bit.
that's another thing i hate

also i would not miss the compatibility with a lot of extremely old emulators and randomly stuff
[Image: cfa05c5c3b4dbaadfb5b25993f2823d7.jpg]
(12-05-2018, 05:50 PM)Sabkahn Wrote:
(12-05-2018, 04:57 PM)Domspun Wrote: It's a performance thing. CPU can handle more RAM and stuff.

Not the CPU, the OS itself can handle mor RAM.

The old x86 aka 32bit Architecture is limited to somewhere around 3.5 to 4 GB of RAM depending on the RAM used, the OS, luck and wether your last scrifice to the the Overlords was acceptet or not. 64bit can handle much more than that without trouble and IIRC correctly CPU´s just work more efficently. I remember that back in the day the PC Version of Guitar Hero 3 ran much smoother and with higher framerates on a 64bit OS than it did on the same machine on 32bit OS.

It's all interconnected, a 64-bit CPU can handle more data at once, so a OS can take advantage of this and use more RAM.
(12-05-2018, 07:08 PM)ZX81v2 Wrote: 64bit = double the registers that 32bit.

Actually this is a bit ambiguous (I assume you know, but I think it is better to clarify). By doubling the word size the possible address space and supported memory is the squared value of what is supported by 32-bit systems (2^32 -> 2^64). The theoretical maximum supported memory size is actually something like 2 exabyte (10^18), and since we actually only use 48 or 52 bits at the moment the practical limit is around 1.000 TB, which is of course more than two times 4GB Big Grin

(This is all done on the fly at around 2 a.m., so there can be some degree of error in the calculation)
Consoles owned:
Sony Playstation, Sony Playstation 2, PSP, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation Vita, Sega Saturn.

Consoles wanted:
Sega Dreamcast, Wonderswan.

[Image: Felneth.png]