Retro Zone
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Need Help: Move Windows and Install Linux
I do not understand you, I have no problems with the equipment in linux
if I need any functionality in the program, then I add him
if I need to reflash chip, but my programmer does not support it, then I add support of this chip
in windows I can make this?
my guess is you don't keep up with the brand new hardware why you don't have that problem because Linux is slow on the driver side

and yes you can do that in windows
[Image: sig2.png]
[Image: 22731.png]
(12-19-2018, 04:48 PM)Massamo Wrote: my guess is you don't keep up with the brand new hardware why you don't have that problem because Linux is slow on the driver side

and yes you can do that in windows

That´s not a issue of the OS, that´s a issue on whoever is supllying the driver.
why im just saying I have problems with it
[Image: sig2.png]
[Image: 22731.png]
(12-18-2018, 04:59 PM)Sabkahn Wrote: Here is what I have planed: Currently my Win10 sits on a 250 Gig SSD, I want to replace that with a 1TB SSD, split that into 2 500 Gig Partitions, clone the current SSD to one of those Partitions and Install a Linux (preferably a Ubuntu flavour as those are the best supported from my understanding) as my new main OS with a Bootloader to use Win10 if needed.

However there are a few minor things I still don´t know:

How do I clone my current SSD to the new one in a way that it can be used to Boot into the current Win10 Installation without any issues with programs that are currently Installed and configured to work how I want and need them?

Wich Ubuntu flavour would be a good choice? I´m not a complete Linux Noob as I used a older Suse Version a few years ago. A requierment is that it comes with a Bootloader to easily boot into Windows.

Original thread^
(12-19-2018, 04:20 PM)megavolt85 Wrote: I do not understand you, I have no problems with the equipment in linux
if I need any functionality in the program, then I add him
if I need to reflash chip, but my programmer does not support it, then I add support of this chip
in windows I can make this?

^ Your reply¿

Linux does not deliver "current" drivers. Nvidia does not support linux etc etc
so most times newest hardware can be glitchy .
Linux likes Amd boards with board graphics and decent opengl compatibility.
you can use whatever, with whatever gui, with mixed results depending on OS...

Linux is not equipment and does not take a "chip reflash"
USB's are excellent options these days, easy boots with decent speeds.
huge storage is usually not mandatory like windows as we do not install massive games in linux
Archived files can be placed on whatever drive (<obvious)

Good luck on the dual boots Sabkahn!
Just wanted to report in that everything worked out as intended and so far I´m really happy with my choice to switch to Linux.
I decided to go with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and I have to say that Linux became much easier to use since I dipped my toes into the Linux Waters a few years ago.

Yes, you have to still use the command line for a few things here and there, but generally speaking I had a much better and simpler out-of-the box experience since the only driver I had to manually Install was the proprietary Nvidia driver, everything else works out of the box, even Win10 required adittional drivers to get basic Hardware like my W-LAN Card working.

I´m not saying that it is the perfect OS, it has other problems and issues that aren´t there or at least easier to solve issues on the Windows Side, i.e. it is currently a pain in the ass to get display mirroring working with a 1080p and UHD display while having both running at their native resolution and with proper scaling on both of them. On Windows it is easy-ish to do, on Linux it is currently a bunch of command line band aid fixes cobbled to gether with some praying. However Performance wise I have no notable issues with mirrored screens on Linux while I get stuttering on Windows. So it´s choosing a poison.

In Terms of games it´s of cause a very mixed bag. Proton is already a very capable solution and games that natively support the Vulkan API anyway it´s a Performance Hit of ~5-10% wich in my book is very acceptable. Those games in general work out of the box without problems. OpenGL based games mostly run as well, however the Performance can be all over the place and they may require a bit playing around with the Proton Settings. D3D based games up to including D3D9 do run in most cases, however some can have issues, i.e. pre rendered Videos don´t work in many cases or there is no background music playing, but performancewise they are great, D3D10 up to 12 is hit & miss if and how well they run.

My Steam Library currently sits at ~1.600 games (don´t ask why it is that big, I didn´t even pay for half of them because of reasons), roughly 25% are Native Linux games, another rough 25% are known to work flawless either out of the box or by adding a command or two to the start parameters of the game, In total 54% of my Library is aleady either Native or is known to run fine through Proton, the other 45% split between ~30% of know currently not working games and ~15% of games that either not tested enough as of now or have some bigger issues like music not playing or broken controller support, but they might run fin, I already had flawless succes with some from this category, but I already found some in that pile that flat out dosn´t work yet.

Like I said: I do know that Linux isn´t a perfect OS either, but in general I do enjoy the overall experience much more than on Windows 10.
(01-05-2019, 11:21 AM)Sabkahn Wrote: Just wanted to report in that everything worked out as intended and so far I´m really happy with my choice to switch to Linux.
I decided to go with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and I have to say that Linux became much easier to use since I dipped my toes into the Linux Waters a few years ago.

Welcome to Linux. I would've suggested Arch. Better meme than normie Ubuntu. 
Are you using playforlinux to install windows games on your laptop?
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 2
Views: 290
12-23-2018, 10:18 AM
Last PostDragon Mech
Replies: 16
Views: 1,927
12-09-2018, 05:18 AM