Retro Zone

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Favorite "retro" game you played in 2018 ?
Thumbs Up 
Let's use the same rules that were on the old forums for game uploads;
- if it is a console game it needs to be older than Wii/PS3/Xbox360 generation
- if it is a PC game it must be released before January 1st 2008

I must admit this wasn't a great gaming year for me, many games were disappointing.

The most interesting game was Peter Jackson's King Kong released in 2005. I wanted to play the PC version, but the game uses SafeDisc or something, that was never cracked and it doesn't run on Windows 7 an later. Then I tried the Gamer's Edition which was a port of the Xbox version, but there was some bug and it was all blurry. Then I tried the GameCube version, but that one looks very bad with low quality textures and a lot of color banding. So I ended up playing the PS2 version with PCSX2, but that one also had issues and I had to play some parts of it in software mode.

With all this trouble it was still a very fun game and the game can look amazing (see picture below). It follows the movie very closely, with some differences here and there. It was the first time I played a game that is so much focused on spectacle. Just after first 50 meters in the game you already fight a boss, and it's always something new and exciting going on. The game really feels like an adventure. I wasn't really impressed with the parts where you play as King Kong. They were cool, but were simply too short, especially the ending in New York.

[Image: 0gOUMxt.png]
Usualy I would say the Original Doom, however World Driver Championship on N64 really impressed me. Great visuals, great Sound, really fun handling model and the dificulty was fairly well balanced. Really liked it, I have beaten it and unlocked the hidden bonus car and it instantly became one of my favourite racing games from that era.
These games I'm currently playing.... Big Grin Mostly through emulation though...
Valkyrie Profile 2 Silmeria
Ys I & II Chronicles
Castlevania - Curse of Darkness
Turok 2 - Seeds of Evil

I also have a couple that I just finished recently
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
DrillDozer
Summon Night Swordcraft Story 1 and 2
Blood Will Tell
[Image: d56ilge-1b85a793-6deb-438d-84d8-ab6ba9a7433e.png]
My Submissions Here!
Now Playing
Samurai Warriors 4-II
Super Robot Wars A Portable
Castlevania - Curse of Darkness
Contract JACK
Kuon
Valkyrie Profile 2 Silmeria(PS2)
Fire Emblem (GBA)
Suikoden V (PS2)
Naval Ops Warship Gunner 2 (PS2)
Xenogears (PSX)
Bards Tale (PS2)

Those i can remember right now.
My favorite Build engine game - Blood (or One Unit Whole Blood - with two expansions).

There's a great source port available made in Java and for those interested you can find it here.
It's developed by Alexander Makarov, known as M210 and it's achieved with reverse engineering.
[Image: Py86-XZ2-WM4-Ter-YNpj-CDz5-K-1200-80.jpg]
a ton of 8/16 bit games
valkirie profile lenneth on ps1 (emulated)
Gunlord on Dreamcast
recently all Metroid DS versions (on pc)
probably one of the slowest 3d games on earth, i re-played with joy Shadowgate 64, on real N64; i love the atmosphere of that game
[Image: cfa05c5c3b4dbaadfb5b25993f2823d7.jpg]
Spent most of 2018 not only testing but also gaming like crazy all PC Games I could salvage from TiZ on 2017, just to name some of them:
Apache AH 64 Air Assault
Midtown Madness 2 <3
Bad Toys 3D
Bliss Island
BlueIce
F16 MRF<3
Sonic R
Tonka Construction <3
Carcassonne
Fort Apache (1992) DOS
Sonic CD <3
Twisted Metal 2 <3
Gunmetal 1998 <3

And then some...
I've done questionable things.
Guys... a list with no personal feedback is just cold. If you really liked some game you should be able to write something about it. Give me some sugar.
Well, to add to my previous post, i like to play DOS game Blood because it has great horror atmosphere, fun to use weapons with unique alternate fire mode (e.g. Voodoo Doll, Aerosol Can and Life Leech staff), it's full of black humour and horror movie references, it looks the best of all other Build engine games in my opinion and has awesome levels.
[Image: Py86-XZ2-WM4-Ter-YNpj-CDz5-K-1200-80.jpg]
(12-28-2018, 09:25 PM)dejang8722 Wrote: Well, to add to my previous post, i like to play DOS game Blood because it has great horror atmosphere, fun to use weapons with unique alternate fire mode (e.g. Voodoo Doll, Aerosol Can and Life Leech staff), it's full of black humour and horror movie references, it looks the best of all other Build engine games in my opinion and has awesome levels.

I agree with everything you wrote. I played it in 2014 for the first time and it was fantastic. And it was a very hard game, got my ass kicked quite often in that game. I also played Duke Nukem 3D in 2011 which also uses the Build engine, and that game was great too. Those games are very similar, only the theme is different; Blood is inspired by old horror movies, while Duke Nukem was inspired by old action movies. I have not played other Build engine games yet.
Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 7
Views: 297
06-12-2019, 08:29 AM
Last PostKadiusDar
Replies: 8
Views: 401
05-19-2019, 06:43 PM