Retro Zone
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XBOX RROD Repair
I have an XBOX that i have had sitting in its box for about 8-9 years now. It ran great and i kept it clean and had a external fan helping keep it cool but it RROD like 8-9 years ago and I have been too busy until now to try to look into doing something about it.

Its on default firmware.  Is there anyone on here that has repaired RROD XBOX that is interested in getting paid to help me get it back up to speed.  I am decent with computer repair so if there are detailed instructions with pictures  I'd appreciate those as well.

Thanks in advance. I love me some retro gaming and am trying to get all my systems back up and functional.
Personally for me it would just be good scrap, maybe I'm wrong but it isn't really worth repairing.

They are at there cheapest now, certainly in the UK where I am. You havn't said which model it is so I presume it's a 360 PHAT, get another the same but a Jasper, the last PHATs or even a Falcon which are OK too and start over with your old HDD, ccontroller etc.

Another tip would be to be aware of which DVD drive your RROD unit has as this could be used in the future, you can tell which brand with a guide online, most have a visible wire viewable through a hole which tells you what it is before you try and open it.
thanks for the info. my xbox is a usa launch xbox. i bought preordered it and got it on launch and probably played it maybe 100hours. i was too busy at the time to get good use out of it besides rocky and fusion frenzy with some friends. it is in mint condition besides the rrod and ive heard over the years that the condition that causes the rrod can be fixed by paste and clock changes of some sort. thats why i think it is worth repair as it shouldnt really be damaged much and one of the simpler repairs from what ive heard about the causes of rrod

if they are cheap and i can find one with custom cfw on it then id be interested in just buying one instead of repairing mine then figuring out how to throw custom cfw on it.
I was talking 360 so sorry about that earlier reply but it's still good advice I guess !?!

There's loads of videos on Youtube on what to do as it's definately worth fixing up but again it may be worth getting another OG XBOX and using all your original bits and pieces, a pre-modded one with a larger drive will cost more I expect especially on ebay and other places, you might get one from someone close to you on here.

I've bought XBOX's in terrible condition and just fixed them and chipped them as the chip is £3 from ebay, I've never had any luck at all with soft-modding so stick to what I know.
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 2
Views: 208
01-03-2019, 03:14 PM
Last Postabazz009