help needed with PCSX2 1.4.0

#11. Post Posted: 01-12-2019, 08:07 AM
(01-12-2019, 08:00 AM)Dragon Mech Wrote: but as i stated in my last post. i have gotten version 1.2.1 to work. but i can't figure out how to get it to read a real PS2 disc from my DVD drive.

Change the Plugin for the CD/DVD Drive. IIRC PCSX2 defaults to a ISO Plugin, but it comes with one that uses the Physical drive. If you have multiple drives check the Plugin Settings if you can pick wich drive the plugin uses.
#12. Post Posted: 01-12-2019, 08:28 AM
cool. i'll try that......it works!
i have also just gotten pcsx2 version 1.4.0 running! but it's rather slow.
#13. Post Posted: 01-13-2019, 12:35 AM
It's always a better idea to run emulated games from ISO images than physical discs because of possible reading/speed problems. You can make images of games with free burning application ImgBurn:

http://www.imgburn.com

It's very straightforward, you just click "Create image file from disc", select your DVD drive (source) then pick a destination drive/folder, name your new image file (it will automatically select iso as image type, extension), click Save and then the icon on the bottom left which says "Read" when you hover your mouse over it.
When you do that, change CDVD option back to ISO, select "ISO Selector" and browse for ISO image that you just created or the game you want to play.
If games are running slow or have glitches you need to experiment with emulator configuration, changing video plugin renderer, speed hacks etc.
You can find official PCSX2 configuration guide (it reads v1.2.1 but it's not outdated, they made very little changes in newer versions) on it's official site:

https://pcsx2.net/config-guide/official-...guide.html

And you can also visit PCSX2 Wiki page to check for user feedback whether the game you are trying to emulate works well or have issues, and to find some fixes if possible:

https://wiki.pcsx2.net/Category:Games
[Image: Py86-XZ2-WM4-Ter-YNpj-CDz5-K-1200-80.jpg]
#14. Post Posted: 01-13-2019, 05:41 AM
but ISOs require massive amounts of storage. especially if they are images of DVD-ROM format PS2 games.
storage like that is expensive. and i already have imgburn.
#15. Post Posted: 01-13-2019, 05:46 AM
(01-13-2019, 05:41 AM)Dragon Mech Wrote: but ISOs require massive amounts of storage. especially if they are images of DVD-ROM format PS2 games.
storage like that is expensive. and i already have imgburn.

been running PCSX2 for a while and as long as you have a DVD drive that isnt a potato the discs work fine if the plugin is working properly, but ISOs cut down on wierd crashes with certain games, so my advice is keep a few tempermental games as ISOs and the rest will generally be fine
#16. Post Posted: 01-13-2019, 06:18 AM
i'll keep that in mind ghost-jesus. thanks.
in fact i would like to thank everyone that helped me with this.
but i am going to discontinue PS2 emulation untell i can get my win 7 rig back up and running with a 500W PSU and a quad core Phenom x4.
#17. Post Posted: 01-13-2019, 11:31 AM
From my own experience Dual Layer DVD games like Gran Turismo 4 work much better from a Physical Disc than from ISO. PS2 Disc Read Speeds are only 24x for CD and 4x for DVD on real Hardware anyway, even my first DVD Drive in the early 2000's was faster than that, speed issues really aren't a thing.
#18. Post Posted: 01-13-2019, 03:39 PM
If the games work good for you directly from discs, then great, but they will not work like that for everyone because not all DVD drives are made the same and many have problems reading PS2 games fast enough (regardless of drive fast read speed) which causes hiccups, slowdowns and even crash, so yeah, it can affect speed and performance of games. You can't compare HDD read and access speed with that of DVD, that's why it's recommended to load disc images to circumvent said problems. PS2 hardware is another story, it is made to do that, read games from discs.
#19. Post Posted: 01-13-2019, 04:07 PM
Usually its not been speed problems when it comes to games not reading from disc, but some games just dont work well from real discs due to DVD plugin compatibility or DVD drives with certain issues, some DVD drives dont like dual-layer discs, so ISOs are needed, some games are incompatible with the DVD plugin, so ISOs are needed, CD games tend to work quite well on nearly any drive, but a few have problem with the plugin, but the technicals behind it are most likely not relevant to the OP, so I just gave him a general rule to try the games and see.
#20. Post Posted: 01-13-2019, 04:34 PM
(01-13-2019, 04:07 PM)ghost-jesus Wrote: Usually its not been speed problems when it comes to games not reading from disc, but some games just dont work well from real discs due to DVD plugin compatibility or DVD drives with certain issues, some DVD drives dont like dual-layer discs, so ISOs are needed, some games are incompatible with the DVD plugin, so ISOs are needed, CD games tend to work quite well on nearly any drive, but a few have problem with the plugin, but the technicals behind it are most likely not relevant to the OP, so I just gave him a general rule to try the games and see.

Yes, that's also a problem sometimes, DVD plugin compatibility issues, and some older drives don't like DL discs like you said. I only explained why i think is better to load games from images because i had different experiences with various drives, but you're right, it's all about trying games and experimenting with plugins/settings and finding what works best for you.

Jump To:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pcsx2 how use keyboard as controller Dartz 5 371 07-19-2019, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Dartz