Retro Zone

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dreamcast very picky with games
I recently bought a couple of used DC games and that was when I noticed that my console became very temperamental when it comes to actually letting me play the bloody games. Some discs work just fine without any troube, other boot up fine, but throw me to the System Settings screen when trying to play them, others only show the "Licensed by Sega" Screen and then go to the System Settings thing straight away. After reading up about it a bit I decided to try my luck with a bit of Pot Tweaking, but I only manage to dial in 3 Results: The same as is, Disc Spins up slowly, but the System doesn´t read anything or my favourite: It Spins up to insane speeds and sounds like a jet engine and is not capable of reading anything at those speeds.

Now I have to wonder if my GD-Drive is on it´s way out or are some of my Discs bad? Or is there even something else I could try? I only play with Original GD´s and rarely used burned discs.
maybe some of those games are really old, and are not selfboot, so they require the Utopia boot disk to let them run...
and others maybe are not burned correctly, or use a cheap cd brand
apart this, using burned disks reduce the life of the delicate dc gd
if your dc read fine originals and well maded copies, my hint is to restore the lens pot you touched to the original position, or you could damage seriously the lens
[Image: cfa05c5c3b4dbaadfb5b25993f2823d7.jpg]
(01-11-2019, 01:54 PM)Kremiso Wrote: maybe some of those games are really old, and are not selfboot, so they require the Utopia boot disk to let them run...
and others maybe are not burned correctly, or use a cheap cd brand
apart this, using burned disks reduce the life of the delicate dc gd
if your dc read fine originals and well maded copies, my hint is to restore the lens screw you touched to the original position, or you could damage seriously the lens

Na, what I meant that I only play original, legit games on my DC and even in the past very rarely used burned games. I didn´t use the System for several months, but the last game I played on (Shenmue 1) worked without issues through the whole game.
my bad, i have read 'used games', and i have associated 'copied games' lol

ok, with my DC i reached to use the pot tweak for 3 times in total (2/3 years of life extension) before the lens died completely
i presume you already tried both little clockwise/anticlockwise directions, if you have no improvements, yes, maybe your gd is on the wrong road Sad
If pot tweaking, use a multimeter. I know some dont but they should Lol
(01-11-2019, 02:56 PM)Biggsy666 Wrote: If pot tweaking, use a multimeter. I know some dont but they should Lol

That means I would have to search for that thing Lol
I´ll give it another try with a multimeter, so far I just tried to YOLO it and as mentioned didn´t have luck.

Or I should look into getting a GDEmu, might be a good excuse.
I never had DC,but what you describe is same what happened to my old PS1/PS2 lasers when they are at end of its life ,so my recomendation is to search replacment for it .
I think it usually means the GD drive is dying… I had the same issue: the drive started to become picky, I pot-tweaked it but eventually bought a GDEmu. Really happy with it, cool piece of hardware.
was wondering in general about first/second gen cd/gd/dvd consoles, dont you think are the less reliable for a passionate retrogamer?

what i mean is that old tape, disk and cartridge computer/consoles normally doesnt require anything special, and works fine also today, instead those crappy plastic laser units are often a pain in the ass Smile

at least here in Italy, find ie a still working Neogeo cd, Philips cdi or 3do is really hard...

EDIT - sorry OP, little out of thread, too lazy atm to create a new one Sad
Nahh, it's OK to hijack the Topic.

Don't know about the reliability of those really early Disc based Systems, but out of all the disc based Systems only this Dreamcast failed on me while I was owing it and one of the 4 PS2 Systems I own / owned had trouble with DVD based media and PS1 FMV's and that was like that when I got it. But yeah, anything with a Laser and / or Moving parts in it can and will fail at some points, that's part of the reason why I think that it is very Important to have a healthy Emulation Scene and / or find alternative means like the GDEmu to still have a way to play on Original Hardware.
Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post