CBOX MVS BIOS upgrade?

#1. Post Posted: 02-07-2019, 09:07 PM
I have a CBOX Neo Geo MVS (the Aliexpress one) with UniBios 3.3 and I ordered the NeoBiosMasta and UniBios 4. The motherboard is a MV-1C and it looks like the Bios has been replaced and it appears to be a bootleg UniBios, my question is would replacing the Bios be as simple like a normal upgrade or could the controller ports be tied to the Bios? (its the deluxe version with Sega Saturn ports). My plan was to just cut the old Bios out completely, remove the legs and install the new one using the NeoBiosMasta.
#2. Post Posted: 04-14-2019, 06:42 PM
I have an aliexpress CBOX as well and have ordered a NeoBiosMasta VMC and a Unibios 4.0 chip. I'm going to install them once they arrive. I'll let you know how goes. Just curious, what type of bios chip does your CBOX have? Mine has an AMD chip.
#3. Post Posted: 04-20-2019, 01:00 AM
I installed the NBM VMC today and everying works as it should. I tested Neo Geo and Saturn controllers and had zero issues. The VMC version of the NeoBiosMasta is pretty cool since it requires no soldering for installation and you never have to worry about replacing another battery to save scores and progress. You just snap it on and it's ready to go. Be careful when you remove the bios chip on your CBOX. If you look closely you'll see that they soldered the last two pins to a ceramic capacitor.
#4. Post Posted: 05-08-2019, 05:02 AM
(04-20-2019, 01:00 AM)neofan Wrote: I installed the NBM VMC today and everying works as it should. I tested Neo Geo and Saturn controllers and had zero issues. The VMC version of the NeoBiosMasta is pretty cool since it requires no soldering for installation and you never have to worry about replacing another battery to save scores and progress. You just snap it on and it's ready to go. Be careful when you remove the bios chip on your CBOX. If you look closely you'll see that they soldered the last two pins to a ceramic capacitor.

Hey sorry for the late reply, on my CBOX it was an AMD chip as well but it wasn't soldered to anything but the pads, I just snipped the legs then took the soldering iron and dragged the remaining legs off. Yeah it was definitely a necessary upgrade, the bootleg Bios had broken functions. The real UniBios was a huge upgrade to improving functionality and the NeoBiosMasta was easy to install, I'd say snipping the legs was the hardest part even with flush cutters. I also removed the charging circuit, took a generic coin battery holder used for the Dreamcast battery mod and soldered resister legs to it to properly fit the holes, its pretty sturdy and now my settings are saved. Only issue is it displays in black and white with static going through composite or S-Video but component works perfectly, hopefully I can fix that one day, really wish I would have checked it when it first arrived instead of waiting almost a year.

Jump To: