Retro Zone
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OG Xbox wont turn on?
My girlfriends Xbox wouldn't power on so I offered to fix it for her, I figured the clock cap leaked and damaged traces or another cap was bad. After opening it and seeing where the clock cap leaked I removed it / cleaned the area and ran jumper wires to bypass the damaged traces and verified with a multimeter the connections are solid. When I try to power it on the GPU fan spins for a second and stops, no lights or anything come on but rarely the rear fan attempts to spin when holding down the power button.

I'm not sure what version the Xbox is but it was manufactured May 2, 2002. It has a Hynix chip and a GPU fan, Thomson drive and has a Delta power supply. No caps are bulging anywhere, I read a post that it could have something to do with the area around the GPU, version 1.6 Xbox's having a bad transistor (don't know if that'd be a problem on a v1.0 - v1.2) or if it could be the power supply. The Xbox did sit in storage for awhile before she tried to use it so I don't know if the caps are just dried up, but I believe she said she was having issues with it acting funny when it did run and I'm assuming that had to do with the damaged traces.

Anybody know what the problem is?, I would really like to get it fixed for her.
if its a 1.6 it needs the clock cap to run
[Image: sig2.png]
[Image: 22731.png]
(03-21-2019, 08:48 AM)Massamo Wrote: if its a 1.6 it needs the clock cap to run

If its 2002 its not a 1.6. 

Sounds like classic problems caused by clock cap leakage. I suggest going over the traces again and such but it may just be a gonna i'm afraid. I've had a few with leak damage that have just been unsavable (by me at least) for the same reasons. 

Get those caps removed before they go people.
probably a V1 or 1.2, here's a video on it if you want to check yourself.

anyways, you could check the power plug on the PSU, those solder joints tend to break, but since it comes on for a second then that's probably not the issue. worth look though, 

i had 1 xbox that had really bad trace corrosion from the leaky clock cap, as soon as it was plugged in it would power on. then after jumping the traces, it started doing exactly what your's is doing. i didn't put any extra effort into trying to repair it after that but now im thinking im gonna look it over again.
(03-22-2019, 04:05 PM)abazz009 Wrote: probably a V1 or 1.2, here's a video on it if you want to check yourself.

anyways, you could check the power plug on the PSU, those solder joints tend to break, but since it comes on for a second then that's probably not the issue. worth look though, 

i had 1 xbox that had really bad trace corrosion from the leaky clock cap, as soon as it was plugged in it would power on. then after jumping the traces, it started doing exactly what your's is doing. i didn't put any extra effort into trying to repair it after that but now im thinking im gonna look it over again.
The plug on the PSU is one of the first things I checked but it seems pretty solid, none of the solder looks cracked and it doesn't move. I have a feeling its a component but I didn't look the whole board over for damage traces, just the usual areas. If you find the cause of it please let me know, anything can be repaired if its worth repairing.
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 9
Views: 1,231
01-10-2019, 12:09 PM
Last PostKaosEngineer
Replies: 4
Views: 985
11-24-2018, 06:23 AM