CRT magnetic interference in audio

Hmm, weird ishue , never encountered that,and i had 5 diferent CRT TV on which i have hooked up bunch of PS1/PS2 systems (over time, not all at once lol).

Sounds like cheap cables that are not shielded. Also some bigger Sony cry televisions have a small subwoofer in them. Most of those televisions weigh over 200 lbs.

^ My CRT hasn't had any problems thanfully but i can confirm it weighs a f*cking ton. When we moved house a couple of years ago it was an absolute b*tch to get up the stairs lol.

It could happen in old and cheap tvs.
if the internal speakers are easy to remove you can try to keep those distant from the crt to test if the issue persist.
consider that also the dust can create interferences sometimes, as a conductor

I am using a TRIBUTARIES brand audio cable which is not cheap,
Are audio wires shielded from EMI? I've cut some apart and have not ever noticed any shielding.
What I thought was happening is, when the screen is all white or the CRT has to show a lot of brightness,
The EMI is strong and gets into the amplifier of the TV. Or possibly the speakers?
Another place where you can really hear the buzz is on the browser for SMS Media Player.

I have found very little info on this,
https://itstillworks.com/eliminate-electromagnetic-interference-12281784.html
there is one page,

here is a video where a guy uses the CRT tv amplifier to play some indian music LOL, but you can see there is Sheet metal shielding around it.

I'm not sure that you can even buy things like magnetic shielded cables or speakers anymore because they arent needed for LCD TV's.
From what I have read EMI affects mostly IC's such as in an amplifier or the PS2, and not the cables. (?)
But perhaps it is affecting the speakers, I thought they were shielded in a CRT TV generally, because speakers also emit magnetic fields from the magnets.

If you have crt and SMS media player for ps2 you can try this boot SMS and turn up the TV volume and you will hear a buzz.

I encoded some Animation Videos lately to play on my CRT with SMS ps2, and I noticed, that the volume of the videos needs to be high. Otherwise you will have to turn up the TV volume very high and you will hear the buzz all the time.

I think if I were to somehow acquire some shielded speakers, and place them each over 4 feet away from the CRT, then there would be no buzz at all, but this seems like too much trouble, and also I like to have the sound coming out from the center. I will probably just live with it. I strange that I only recently realized how much magnetic fields are coming out of the back and sides of these things. I realize now that the video cables for older consoles are over 6 feet long its not just for your convenience you are supposed to put your console over 4 feet away from the CRT and its strong magnetic fields. When I moved the ps2 away from the TV it did get rid of some diagonal static lines that showed up in this wierd like 4 inch high band on the screen. The band would move slowly up the picture it rolled to the bottom again.

I am using s-video so maybe i can find some shielded s-video cable? Perhaps the Sony brand which is $50.... I'm just not sure if that will fix it.

imo the major source of EMI is the back of the speaker itself, expecially those in crt's with big magnets.
the amplificator should not be so big, but i dont know the max output watt power of your tv

also, normally cables are not shielded from EMI, but only from electric or minor disturbs
don't know about the professional ones

lol, who knows?
never tried myself, also the price is interesting (if solve the issue i mean)

Back