Favorite horror games

Friday the 13 - Commodore 64

Personal nightmare and the Elvira saga - Amiga

for the atmosphere Alien Trilogy - Playstation

maybe not properly horror but Condemned and Darkness are amazing - Xbox360

a couple of Lovecraftian-style games, and many, many others lol

I think the original Silent Hill can't be topped in terms of it nailing the atmosphere and generally unsettling 'spookiness'.

...and a special shout-out to Pac-Man - the original survival-horror! ;)

Outlast ( Back before it became extremely popular. )
Silent Hill ( I watched the first one get played ) I really need to give the whole series a try though.

Resident Evil (1,2,3,4,5,6,7, Survivor, Outbreak 1 and File#2, Revelations 1 and 2)
Silent Hill (1,2,3,4, Shattered Memories, Origins)
Alone In The Dark: The New Nightmare
Fatal Frame (1,2,3)
Outlast 1 and 2
F.E.A.R. original with expansions and 2
Forbidden Siren and Siren 2
Kuon
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Penumbra trilogy
SOMA
The Suffering 1 and 2
Alien: Isolation
Condemned: Criminal Origins
DOOM 3
Alan Wake
Dead Space trilogy
Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth
The Thing
Parasite Eve 1 and 2
Dino Crisis 1
Echo Night: Beyond
Cold Fear
Carrier
Deep Fear

AlmaElma said:
Don't forget some Eternal Darkness! I wish more people would talk about that game it is SO good.
Matty said:
Silent Hill ( I watched the first one get played ) I really need to give the whole series a try though.

Yeah, absolutely, first three games are a must play and are the best in series. It's shame that HD Collection is full of bugs and glitches (tried Xbox 360 version which even didn't get any patches).

Night-Spider said:
Resident Evil (1,2,3,4,5,6,7, Survivor, Outbreak 1 and File#2, Revelations 1 and 2)
Silent Hill (1,2,3,4, Shattered Memories, Origins)
Alone In The Dark: The New Nightmare
Fatal Frame (1,2,3)
Outlast 1 and 2
F.E.A.R. original with expansions and 2
Forbidden Siren and Siren 2
Kuon
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Penumbra trilogy
SOMA
The Suffering 1 and 2
Alien: Isolation
Condemned: Criminal Origins
DOOM 3
Alan Wake
Dead Space trilogy
Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth
The Thing
Parasite Eve 1 and 2
Dino Crisis 1
Echo Night: Beyond
Cold Fear
Carrier
Deep Fear

Night-Spider said:
Fatal Frame (1,2,3)

No love for 4 & 5 or the Spirit Camera spin-off?
The fan translation for 4 on the Wii (which was never released outside of Japan) is really good. Likewise, "Project Zero; Maiden of Black Water" (aka. Fatal Frame V) on the Wii U is also great - digital only release in the US, but Japan and Europe got physical... I picked up the limited edition before it started to rocket in price.

RadiantChronicle971 said:
The Parasite Eve trilogy. I remember a friend of mine played the first game and was amused by it, so I decided to play the game years later.
The first one is great... the second one, not so much. I kind of like The 3rd Birthday, but it strays so far from the formula of the original that it's barely a horror game anymore.

I don't know if it counts but "Call Of Cthulhu: Dark corners of the Earth"
..Really liked that game.. even with its flaws and "schortcumings"

Code Veronica is my all time favorito classic game from the mighty Dreamcast.

Amnesia: the dark descent... if you play this game with headspeakers, alone and at night, you will crap your pants. Guaranteed.

The Parasite Eve trilogy. I remember a friend of mine played the first game and was amused by it, so I decided to play the game years later.

There are only two Parasite Eve games, you silly!

Jokes aside my favorites are the original Silent Hill, Parasite Eve 1-2, Forbidden Siren, the first Dead Space.
Honorable mentions for Cold Fear and Echo Night Beyond.

Favourite of all for me must be res evil remake on the cube, then I guess Silent Hill 2, I get goosebumps just thinking about the music for SH2.

There's just too many really good horror games (thankfully), even the fairly naff ones are decent, I'm playing Run Like Hell for the PS2 today, just got the crowbar !

Felneth said:

There are only two Parasite Eve games, you silly!
stillcool said:
Favourite of all for me must be res evil remake on the cube, then I guess Silent Hill 2, I get goosebumps just thinking about the music for SH2.

There's just too many really good horror games (thankfully), even the fairly naff ones are decent, I'm playing Run Like Hell for the PS2 today, just got the crowbar !

Silent Hill games always had some good and scary music.
Never heard of Run Like Hell for PS2, i'm going to watch some gameplay vids.

Nice picks guys.

Back