HDMI Scalers

Hi, thanks for the video.

Perhaps you can help me out. I'm looking for a cheap 1080p scaler (component to hdmi). My HDTV has a poor scaler, so whenever I play resolutions under 1080p, the visual quality is very degraded, specially in 480p/i sources.

I read about the monoprice component to hdmi scaler, but im not sure how good actually is.

I've read about some audio receivers too, with built in scalers for 1080p/4k, with all sorts of inputs and outputs, but they are expensive.

Do you have any experience with those?

So I have the Monoprice one and so far I am happy, but I have to say that I have zero experience with Audio receiver scalers.

I have the Retrotink 2x and is is great for the older systems like NES and SNES but only scaling 480 or 240 content is what it is built for.

I will simply say that the monoprice scalers are a cheap solution that works, but don't expect it to make Super mario bros on the nes to look like Horizon.

Basically what I'm looking for is to get rid of my built-in scaler. I don't need additional visual treatment, just a clean 480p/component signal upscaled to 1080p.

I had a Sony Bravia HDTV that never bothered me when using 480i/p Sources.
But Now I have a cheap Vizio that does good job for 1080p, but very bad scaling SD content. The problem is that it also has a bad response time and I'm very sensitive to that.

I was thinking if i should be better buying a pc monitor [1ms response time/ 144hz, 1080p], then using a component to hdmi scaler.

Yeah I already cheked there, I even ask them a few things.
Bottom line is my HDTV is crap, I need a new one.

But even if i get a new set, it doesn't fix what I want, a very fast Response time, only achievable with pc monitors.
No HDTV have a response time lower than 5ms.

The difference between almost instant response time to 8ms+ is abysmal, specially when you're used to CRT.

And obviusly as with everything, it depends in the quality and brand of the HDTV, cables, and scalers, but good ones are too expensive.

For $160-200, I can get a 24-28 inch PC monitor, with 1ms respone time /144hz 1080p, often considered gaming monitors.

I still have an old CRT Monitor but is dying(I don't know how to fix it, flickers randomly like losing power, maybe a capacitor?), and also don't have the proper cables (component to vga) to use it.

Thing is, for a 640/720x480 resolution in a CRT monitor(native 1280x1024), it will still look like crap without a video scaler.

So I need a scaler either way I look.
Framemeister is too expensive, but the one from monoprice interests me. Also they're a lot of cheap clones of the monoprice unit, but again im not sure about the quality. As far as i know, all of them use the same chip(LKV-7600).

Clone Example
https://www.gearbest.com/cables-connectors/pp_150239.html

So I have the Monoprice one and so far I am happy, but I have to say that I have zero experience with Audio receiver scalers.

I have the Retrotink 2x and is is great for the older systems like NES and SNES but only scaling 480 or 240 content is what it is built for.

I will simply say that the monoprice scalers are a cheap solution that works, but don't expect it to make Super mario bros on the nes to look like Horizon.

Back