help needed with PCSX2 1.4.0

Dragon Mech

hello.

a few days ago i got PCSX2 version 1.4.0 just to see if i could get it to run on my desktop.
however, during the initial setup the program couldn't find a SPU2 DLL file even though there was a dll named "spu2-x.dll".

is there something that i am missing or something missing from the install?

ok i tried zerohour2k12's file and that didn't work.
so i downloaded the latest build of pcsx2 from the url that Rodion posted and my win xp says that the exe is not a valid win32 application
i think i'll try getting an eariler version and see what happends.

If your comp can handle it I would recommed windows 7 64 bit.
If it cant handle that, you are going to have a very slow pcsx2 experience.

I have i3 3.4ghz and radeon hd 7790 and pcsx2 runs slow in 1080p. I run it 720p
in double native res

earlier version is actually better because it supports DX9, which is the fastest renderer.
I believe I use 1.2.1

but usually i play it on authentic ps2 on 27" crt.

Dragon?Mech said:
ok i tried zerohour2k12's file and that didn't work.
so i downloaded the latest build of pcsx2 from the url that Rodion posted and my win xp says that the exe is not a valid win32 application
i think i'll try getting an eariler version and see what happends.
Well that's a bummer, I downloaded that SPU2X from the PCSX2 site too....
More Info on that Problem Here
What system are you running on and is it 32 or 64 bit????
Some of the later builds tend to only support 64-bit nowadays....

i downloaded pcsx2 version PCSX2 1.2.1 (r5875) and got it to work after i did some adjustments to the video options
but i can't fingure out how to get the emulator to load games from my real discs

EDIT: @Dildo_Schwaggins : i do have a better rig with win7 64-bit. but it needs a new 300W PSU just to get running with the current hardware configuration

Dragon?Mech said:
hello.

a few days ago i got PCSX2 version 1.4.0 just to see if i could get it to run on my desktop.
however, during the initial setup the program couldn't find a SPU2 DLL file even though there was a dll named "spu2-x.dll".

is there something that i am missing or something missing from the install?

Are you trying to run PCSX2 from the archive? You need to extract it first. PCSX2 1.4 requires VC 2015 and that plugin alone requires VC 2013, do you have vc 2013 installed(x86/x64....I don't know which is needed based on the OS type)

no. i used the installer for version 1.4.0 and 1.2.1. and the installers include VC in them.
but as i stated in my last post. i have gotten version 1.2.1 to work. but i can't figure out how to get it to read a real PS2 disc from my DVD drive.

Dragon Mech said:
but as i stated in my last post. i have gotten version 1.2.1 to work. but i can't figure out how to get it to read a real PS2 disc from my DVD drive.

Change the Plugin for the CD/DVD Drive. IIRC PCSX2 defaults to a ISO Plugin, but it comes with one that uses the Physical drive. If you have multiple drives check the Plugin Settings if you can pick wich drive the plugin uses.

but ISOs require massive amounts of storage. especially if they are images of DVD-ROM format PS2 games.
storage like that is expensive. and i already have imgburn.

i'll keep that in mind ghost-jesus. thanks.
in fact i would like to thank everyone that helped me with this.
but i am going to discontinue PS2 emulation untell i can get my win 7 rig back up and running with a 500W PSU and a quad core Phenom x4.

From my own experience Dual Layer DVD games like Gran Turismo 4 work much better from a Physical Disc than from ISO. PS2 Disc Read Speeds are only 24x for CD and 4x for DVD on real Hardware anyway, even my first DVD Drive in the early 2000's was faster than that, speed issues really aren't a thing.

Usually its not been speed problems when it comes to games not reading from disc, but some games just dont work well from real discs due to DVD plugin compatibility or DVD drives with certain issues, some DVD drives dont like dual-layer discs, so ISOs are needed, some games are incompatible with the DVD plugin, so ISOs are needed, CD games tend to work quite well on nearly any drive, but a few have problem with the plugin, but the technicals behind it are most likely not relevant to the OP, so I just gave him a general rule to try the games and see.

ghost-jesus said:
Usually its not been speed problems when it comes to games not reading from disc, but some games just dont work well from real discs due to DVD plugin compatibility or DVD drives with certain issues, some DVD drives dont like dual-layer discs, so ISOs are needed, some games are incompatible with the DVD plugin, so ISOs are needed, CD games tend to work quite well on nearly any drive, but a few have problem with the plugin, but the technicals behind it are most likely not relevant to the OP, so I just gave him a general rule to try the games and see.

Yes, that's also a problem sometimes, DVD plugin compatibility issues, and some older drives don't like DL discs like you said. I only explained why i think is better to load games from images because i had different experiences with various drives, but you're right, it's all about trying games and experimenting with plugins/settings and finding what works best for you.

Back