Issiues with new laser

victim2077

Hello!
I've just replaced laser in my slim PS2 (SCPH-75004 laser is PVR-802w) and it has problems with reading burned discs. Last laser didn't have this issiues until it died.It sometimes reads games as DVD Video (aren't patched with ESR). Other times after showing PS2 logo returns to browse menu. So is there anything I can do to resolve thoes problems. I was thinking about tweaking resistors on the new laser to match values from old one. Will it help? Right now I can't afford another new unit.

Depends on where you get laser, it is possible that laser is already optimized or not, in later case you need to tweek it .
But, From your description, it can also be many other things ,it is either not tweeked ,or it is damaged or bad laser , or it may just be bad laser lens carriers :

800px-PS2_laser_12-screws.jpg

( ^ thise long pipe/tubes looking things under screwdriver on image ).

Or bad, damaged or not properly set laser guide ( that thing that touch long Rolled tube/pipe looking thing on right side from laser ) .
Both of later case MAY be partialy solved by simply try to load game by using old load trick, put console on vertical position, or on 45 degrees, or some other degree angle, try and error aproach only works for this.
Also, most simple solution may be laser cleaning , try that first . It is possible that whoever put new laser in , touched laser lens , made it dirty and that cause problems.
Those are most simple examples how you can solve this, if it not work, it is something more serius.

Dont know about the PS2, but on my Sega Saturn replacement lasers I had to desolder a anti static jumper before installation.

I've desolder that shorting blob so it wasn't the issue.
After quick test putting PS2 in vertical position solved the issue. Is there a way to make it work in horizontal position?

Moandain said:
Dont know about the PS2, but on my Sega Saturn replacement lasers I had to desolder a anti static jumper before installation.

Yes, you have to do that in PS2 as well, first time i was to replaced laser , i dint do it and i fried my brand new replacment laser lol.

victim2077 said:
I've desolder that shorting blob so it wasn't the issue.
After quick test putting PS2 in vertical position solved the issue. Is there a way to make it work in horizontal position?
As they say, If it work, dont fix it . If you are short of funds and console works fine in vertical position, just leand it against something and play , it will not harm console in any way to keep her in vertical position 24/7 , i have one of mine in vertical position for over 3 years lol, still kicking.
But if you want to fix it, i guess you can open console and try to screw that laser carrier/guide little tighter, but be aware, i just guessing here ,i am not profesional repair guy , just amateur with some practical advices .

Where is the laser from, i've had issues with some of the cheap chinese ps1 replacements when it comes to backups but they worked fine with originals so i couldn't really complain lol

Back