New GPU: Vega 64 or RTX 2060?

Well, I'm actually looking for a new pc build for linux too, so I may be of some help.
From what I was able to gather at the moment the Vega 64 with os drivers is my favourite solution on linux. Awesome drivers seems to get this baby go crazy, and if you undervolt it a little it would seem it will be a lot cooler without drops in performances.

So I would be inclined to suggest you to go with the Vega 64, in particular with the Sapphire NITRO+ edition, if you can find it in you price range. However, if you change GPU frequently of course the NVIDIA cards have more resell value.

P.S. you may want to check the relative benchmarks on UserBenchmark

Yeah, I read about that undervolting thing too.
Thanks for your input, it confirmed my preference of the Radeon.
Yeah, I know that UserBenchmarks site, but it's just the same as with most other comparisons of the 2 that they pretty much trade blows with maybe a slight advantage for the Radeon.

The Sapphire NITRO+ is sadly a bit out of the range for what I'm willing to pay for a GPU, not just now but in general. That thing is barely cheaper than the cheapest RTX 2070 Options. Guess I go for that Strix I found.

If I had kept my 1080p TV I would have kept the 970 for another year or two, I have it pretty much since those launched, and as I said above it is IMO still plenty capable in 1080p, but those higher resolutions are just killing that poor thing. Usually I try to use all of my components for as long as possible.

EDIT:

Massamo said:
could look at the GeForce GTX 1660 Ti as well

Sorry, didn't see that earlier. 1660Ti, while being a really good card, isn't a option for me. Benchmarks I looked at suggest that the Vega 56 is beating it pretty much across the board and I could get that one for the same pricee as a 1660Ti. And I really want that extra Oomph the more higher tiered models offer since I'd like to keep it around for a couple of years.

I have personally always had a soft spot for amd team red and would also say amd because hey like you said ray tracing is just not very appealing and as long as you can do 4k it makes sense to save some money and go with amd.

I pulled the trigger on that Vega 64 Strix now. Should arrive early to mid next week. Let's see how well my 2nd Team Red card will do, the first one I had was still under the ATI Brand, a Radeon HD 5750 1GB it was IIRC, it served me well back then.

Nice to hear you went with Ati again :D
Keep us posted on your thoughts on the card when it has some mileage!

Felneth said:
Nice to hear you went with Ati again :D
Keep us posted on your thoughts on the card when it has some mileage!

As Requested here are my thoughts and experiences after the first ~10 Days with my RX Vega 64.

As someone who owns a High-End Card for the first time I'm both really surprised and a bit disappointed by the build quality of this thing. As mentioned above I got myself the ROG Strix variant from Asus with a massive 3-Fan cooler that keeps the card quiet. So far I didn' t feel the need to undervolt it. The metal backplate looks great, but I'm a bit disappointed that the shroud around the fans is plastic, my previous Zotac GTX 970 had a metal shroud, it just felt more premium despite being a Mainstream card.

That being said the massive size is just a bit too much for current case (a Lian Li HTPC case), but then again I was never a big fan of my current case to begin with, it is way too restrictive for Air Flow, with the 970 I was at least able to Frankenstein a 120mm fan into the case to force air out of the CPU area through the HDD Caddy, with the much longer Vega Card this isn't possible anymore. This is now the perfect excuse to get myself a new case and an AIO Watercooler for my CPU in the near Future.

On the Software side I now settled to go with Manjaro Linux (Arch Based Distro) and the OS / Mesa Driver.

I started out on Ubuntu 18.04, but I guess I did something wrong while Purging the Nvidia Driver and the Moment I tried to Install the AMDGPU-Pro Driver the System was borked to the point that it wouldn't boot anymore.

I then played around with Pop!_OS 18.04 and 18.10. BTW, Pop!_OS is a great Ubuntu Variant for anyone that is looking for a Distro that comes with very little preinstalled Software. Since I first intended to use the proprietary Driver I opted for 18.04 since it allowed me to use AMDGPU-Pro. Performance with this Driver is great, but both Fullscreen Videos and games Tear like crazy with this Driver, even if you enable VSync in Game. I then played around a bit with 18.10 and the Mesa Driver, this Combo had pretty much the same Performance with the benefit of the Tearing being eliminated (I never seriously Benchmarked this, but Rise of the Tomb Raider in 4K Maxed out landed at around 45 FPS Average with both Combinations). Everything seemed fine until I had a Power Blackout while the System was running. For some Reason I could now only boot into the oldkernel Option of Pop!_OS, and that was harmful to my Performance.

I then opted to go with Manjaro since it uses a Rolling Release cycle which means that they implement new Kernel Versions and Features much faster than Ubuntu based Distros do, plus it makes it super easy to switch between Kernels in case a older one works better.

As for Performance: I'm super Happy with my choice. It won't push all games to 4K 60 FPS with everything maxed out, but the recently Ported DiRT 4 runs with the High Preset plus Advanced Ambient Occlusion and Screen Space Reflections enabled at a locked 60FPS in 2160p, Hitman maxed out, same resolution doesn't dip below 30, it feels like 40-50 most of the time, Doom 2016 with Ultra + Nightmare Settings enabled just misses out on being a locked 60FPS, and this one is being played through Proton mind you, so there is some Performance loss for the Translation layer. Hellblade, again maxed out and through Proton (Not officially Whitelisted) never goes below 30, but In have to say that it doesn't feel too great as the audio can easily go out of sync when there is some Shader chaching going on.

Overall I can highly recommend this Card for High Resolution gaming on Linux, especially with the Open Source Drivers,

I bought an extremely cool (stock) case that had AMD logo on the front, on top of a red front of case,Black everywhere else, except a white scorpion on the side (large), I'm very happy with it. x3-120mm fans, 2x-90mm fans for cooling, this case was $65, and has plenty of room for upgrades. Only wish I'd bought a couple more! Best case ever. AMD inside of course, also. Thanks for the read, read .

Massamo said:
Benchmarks don't mean shit the numbers don't stand up when your gaming

Did you even read my post? It should have been obvious that the numbers I gave where from playing the games and mostly they are just what it feels like, not what they are actually are since I don't have an FPS Counter in most games. Heck, from the games I mentioned only Rise of the Tomb Raider even has a Benchmark Feature that is easily accessible, if implemented at all.

And besides: Benchmarks do matter. A lot. I do think that it is stupid to Benchmark everything on Ultra Settings only, High / Very High is probably a more realistic thing for people to use anyway and those settings should IMO always be at least represented in addition to the Ultra Results. If you are using the exact Hardware, Driver-, OS- and Gameversions as used in a Benchmark you should expect and get the same results within a margin of Error. I do know that my i5 4690K @ 4.3 GHz with DDR 1600 Memory won't perform as good with this card as a modern Ryzen or i5 CPU with DDR 4 Memory would, but I knew that already going in.

But then again, I think I shouldn't take someone talking about hardware serious that for some reason thinks that formatting his SSD on a (nearly) monthly basis is something you should do.

nope benchmarks don't mean shit and never will and my sdd only has windows on it and I clone of my windows all I do is click a bottom and its all back up and running with all my programs in seconds I never said its something you should do its something I do

is a lot more other things to think about when picking a card like brand and how much ram the card has soo on

like if I get this brand of card its not going to do as good as that brand of card at end of the day benchmarks not going to tell you shit

i uses a clone image every month and hell of a lot of people do it as well and a lot of benchmarks on the internet are a load of bullshit and is a few brands that will last longer then other and perform a lot better and the comment was over the cards your picking i was just saying if your picking cards over what benchmarks alone say its not good been using amd cpu for years but hey a 4 core cpu can beat a 8 core cpu lol whatever retard benchmarks

and you think i was recommended that card i was just saying there is one and if your going for rtx video card the 2060 isn't one to go for

i know i word stuff wrong all the time because of my aspergers that im not really formatting the ssd im just doing a image

formatting a ssd is only reading and writing on the drive its not going to reducing life expectancy of the drive anymore then normal uses

Aaaaand you proved again that you don't know how to properly look at Benchmark Results.

Your older 8-Core might still be a solid Productivity CPU and still relevant for gaming because games now begin to actually make proper use of more than 4 Cores, but depending on the task a more modern 4-Core will blow your 8-Core out of the Water, especially when it comes to Single Core Performance. But I guess Cinebench and 3D Mark spit out lower results for older Hardware just because, every Video Editing Software ever is programmed to perform better on newer Hardware for no Reason and Game Developers just hate people in general.

If you really have Aspengers it makes it even more Important to double, or triple check that what you are posting is what you try to say, telling people they should be formatting their Systems on a regular basis is terrible and potentially harmful to their systems.

And BTW: I stated from the beginning that I don't care about Raytracing Features. From my Understanding the RTX Features aren't supported on Linux anyways and I was always only interested in the raw Performance.

I for myself won't take anything tech related you post on this Forum serious ever again. Sorry, but just hating on benchmarks because you seem to not properly understand them and telling people to do things without checking if you are saying what you are trying to say is just terrible.

ask anyone benchmarks don't = same as playing a game they never do is so much more going on when your playing multiplayer and you think my ryzen 2700x can't beat a 4 core cpu got another thing coming and my hardware isn't old at all lol

formatting harmful to your system lol no its not but then again you uses Linux for gaming can't trust anything you even say

To a HDD formatting is barely harmfull to the point that you can neglect it. Not with an SSD since every Read / Write Cycle is harmful to the whole thing. It should be avoided if possible. And with your whole cloning and whatever you are doing you are still doing this exact same thing.

You really don't get what Benchmarks are about and how they are done, do you? Synthetic Benchmarks, even the ones build in to certain games, are usually designed in a way that they introduce a heavier workload than you should expect during regular Gameplay. And Multiplayer games like PUBG or Apex Legends are usually Benchmarked by playing the frikkin game in Multiplayer on the same Map for each piece of Hardware tested. Benchmarks are meant to show you the relative difference in Performance of different pieces of Equipment. Knowing that a GPU can hit 100 FPS in a certain game at a specific resolution is worthless information if you don't know what the other cards can achieve in that exact same scenario.

And yes, your Ryzen 2700x can be beaten by a 4-Core CPU in a Single Core Workload, in Multi Core Scenarios that can be a whole different story. Because the Single Core Performance is lower than some 4-Cores a Workload, i.e. a slightly older game, that is designed to use only 1-4 Threads CAN be slower on your Ryzen, but most productivity Tools and the most modern game Engines are designed to benefit from having more Cores at their disposal. Nobody is saying that a 4-Core is ALWAYS faster than a CPU with a higher Core Count, all People are saying, and proving with Benchmarks like Cinebench, is that in certain scenarios and use cases CPU with a lower Core Count could be the better choice. It all comes down to what the individual user is actually doing.

I admit it was a mistake on my part to assume you where still using one of the FX 8-Core CPU' s.

Linux is a great platform for gaming. Going by the numbers of ProtonDB over 55% of Steams Library is known to work on Linux with many games still having not enough reports there to be taken into account, my wild guess is that ~60-70% should work and each Proton Release is increasing that number. Lutris and Wine in combination open up a whole different can of Worms. Legacy Support for older games, no matter if old Linux Ports or Windows Versions, is much better than it ever was on Windows. Proton and Wine made bonkers amounts of progress in the last 6-9 Months or so and I'll guess that in a year or two Linux will be by far the better Option for gamers.

Windows is on a life support called gaming.

tested out Linux other day was pain in the fucking neck to even get the drivers for all my new hardware
people like me that run brand new hardware Linux isn't a option at all

Then you are doing it wrong or you are running really weird and specific Hardware. The only thing I can't use on Linux at all is my VR Headset because as of now nobody was able to reverse Engineer how the Windows MR Headsets talk to the OS. This is even an issue on Windows since Steam has to launch the Windows MR Portal in order to get them to be recognized.

The only proprietary Driver you should need is for your Graphics, and even that only on the Nvidia side of things, both Intel and AMD are putting tons of work into having great Open Source Driver that are build right into the Kernel itself. This however means that you have either to keep your Kernel up to date (some Distros like Manjaro make this so simple even my 12 year old niece could update the Kernel without ever harming the System) or add the up to date Mesa Repositories once to your System and run the updater. This is a matter of 2 or 3 Terminal Commands that you can easily and safely just copy and paste. And even the Proprietary Nvidia Driver is pretty much a non-issue nowadays as most Distros have them as a easily accessible Option either during Installation, within a seperate ISO and / or as a selectable Option once you are in the OS. Graphics Output works out of the Box no matter what, for office tasks and web surfing all you need are the Build in Drivers no matter what GPU you have. Nvidia Supports all currently avaiable GPU's in their Linux Drivers and their Driver Update Schedule
is almost the same as on Windows by now minus the in between "Game Ready" Drivers. AMD Supports all current GPU's in both their Open Source and Proprietary Drivers. Both sides cover their latest Hardware without issues.

My G27 Racing Wheel has Drivers in the Kernel, I just need to plug it in, Even Windows 10 needed drivers for that and even then on Win10 they where borderline broken as it would recognize it as a wrong wheel on a regular basis which made it necessary to delete and reinstall them. So far every Gamepad I threw at it, no matter if USB or Bluetooth, works out of box without configuration or additional Software needed. Both of my WiFi Network Cards work out of the Box, only needed to connect to the WiFi, on Win10 one of them wasn't even recognized.

So yeah, either you have some oddly rare Hardware or you are doing something horribly wrong.

I had to update my motherboard bios to even get Linux to run I didn't have to do that for windows and I had to uses damn terminal to install my video card drivers because it wasn't letting me do newer onces at first from the normal way

Back