Upgrading Vintage Computer!

wshirk

So i am upgrading a vintage HP computer, that i plan to play some old school games on. I have a Nvidia Geforce 6200 256 MB that is PCI, as that is the only slots i have on the motherboard, and i got that brand new. I also am upgrading from a Celeron 733 MHz with 66 FSB to 950 MHz Celeron. I have a floppy disc on the way, and will be updating the bios so as to eliminate it as the cause for the CPU not working, and as i have no conformation on the CPU support with the computer, as that information is long gone, i am taking a long shot. Can return CPU if it does not work. I also purchased some arctic cleaner, as i have heard so much about it, and wanted to make it an easier process, than it normally is. I also have a 350 watt power supply upgrade on the way. Hoping everything goes as planned. The last thing i will do after this, is upgrade the ram to the 512 MB, and it will be maxed out!

So the CPU upgrade took without a bios update. The video card however is refusing to cooperate with the computer. I get no post at all, followed by 3 beeps, and then two beeps. The card is states to have 300 watts or greater power supply with at least 18 amps on 12 volt line, and this power supply has 26A on the 12 volt line. Do you think updating the bios might help. Also what is the difference between pci 2.0 and 2.1 because the card states it requires a 2.1 compliant slot. Also i have now upgraded the machine to windows XP.

Back