weird issue with a dreamcast freezing for cut scenes .

It may need some grease. These systems and the Saturns were kind of bad about not having enough lube. There should be some youtube videos out there that show you what to do. Don't use white lithium grease. Use a plastic grease.

well, you need to open it, at least to check the laser mechanic, ie there could be a dust-block in the 'infinite screw' that move the lens unit

to open the case, you need to remove the modem, the last screw is hidden under

I had an old Dreamcast that from time to time it would freeze. What I did to fix it was get a Qtip with alcohol and pass it carefully over the lens and it would work. And it wouldn't give me problems for months. Some months passed and I had to repeat the process. That particular Dreamcast lasted me for 10 years I think and it was the only problem I had with it before failing completely. Later it failed but what failed later was the motor. The disc wouldn't spin at all. So cleaning the lens does help. If it's just a dirt problem. You should check that before opening it.

Nice result. A good clean out from time to time is great for any console, especially the more modern ones as just a build up of dust can effect things greatly.

Back