what do you think of shemue?

wullie13

Site Supporter
i have shenmue 1 & 2 but purely for collection purposes only, im not a fan of the actual games, whats your opinion of these games?

ZX81v2

Staff member
Moved to Sega Chat - ZX

Shenmu was the one game that made that console. It was awesome. I remember playing around mates house, then getting sucked in to the Arcade, This was a great extra :) (Well for me anyway)
The story is very well written too

Didn't like it when I first played it, but it grew on me
Shenmu 1 and 2, Top rated

qedeshim

Ever since I first saw them I thought they were games I would like. But when I played them I found out I was right I thoroughly enjoy both of them. But I don't see me completing either of them for years. They are on my list of games I will beat when I retire.

Kremiso

Site Supporter
entirely played, first chapter on DC and second after YEARS on ogxbox...
not exactly my fave genre, but good

i surely prefer the first one, didnt like the harbour/city environment of the second part

Massamo

Administrator
Staff member
not really sega chat anymore because 1 and 2 are on all systems not got around to playing them on my xbox one x yet

MisterXiado

The swan song of the Dreamcast, really, but Sega needed a punch in the mouth for not bringing 2 to the Dreamcast in the US. Then again, Sega was always better than every company but Atari when it came to shooting themselves in the foot. I have 1 & 2 for PS4, but I stopped playing right after I started, as my memory of the whole first game came back all at once. That, and I've been feeling terrible for the past couple... years, so I don't enjoy replaying any games.

Duwen

Site Supporter
Groundbreaking at the time, but Shenmue really has not aged well. I haven't even bothered adding it to my Dreamcast collection, just because I know I'd find it painful to play now - and I certainly wouldn't bother with the 'remaster'... consequently, I'm also not interested in Shenmue 3.
The concepts initiated by Shenmue have gone from strength to strength; from GTA to the Yakuza series (which, imo, is the true successor to Shenmue).

wullie13

Site Supporter
ive never really been into that type of game, i suppose i dont have the patience to play them if im honest

KadiusDar

Site Supporter
Great games, and yeah, you will definitely need patience to play them. Specially 2 near the end. Man that part is a slog, in my opinion.

wullie13

Site Supporter
thats what puts me off those type games, i like the old traditional platform games and shoot em ups and racing games.

GamingWizardC75

Staff member
Finished the first game on the Dreamcast. played and own the Xbox Version and i also own the Xbox One versions of both games. never finished Shenmue II.