Xbox360 games that silently use hard disk ?

Kremiso

Site Supporter
only xbox360 request
there are a certain number of games that silently use the hard disk first time you load them (and every time you load them after using another game)
i not mean titles that forced require hdd, but games that use it if present, and that take more time to be ready to go in circumstances i said before
i remember a couple of them :
Halo titles
Oblivion and Skyrim
Two Worlds
Diablo 3

do you remember others ?

BTW, in case some doesn't know: Games that do behave like this won't benefit from being Installed on the HDD, in fact they usualy even have worse loadtimes if you do.

IIRC all Backwards compatible games from the Original XBox will behave like this. Essentially the emulator dumps the entire disc content on the reserved partition of the HDD and then plays the game like that. I remember that Halo 2 when being played on a 360 has a initial Loadtime for the first Map you try of what feels like several minutes, everything after feels like you are playing a Cartridge based System.

Sabkahn said:
BTW, in case some doesn't know: Games that do behave like this won't benefit from being Installed on the HDD, in fact they usualy even have worse loadtimes if you do.
Alien: Isolation is one of those games too.

Sabkahn said:

had not noticed this yet, very useful info!
another good reason to know them... all :)

dejang8722 said:
Sabkahn said:

1 Disc Games can behave like that too. I.e. Halo 3 will have longer Loadtimes if you do the Optional Install to HDD, however I don know how it work out if you installed that to a USB device.

Kremiso said:
only xbox360 request
there are a certain number of games that silently use the hard disk first time you load them (and every time you load them after using another game)
i not mean titles that forced require hdd, but games that use it if present, and that take more time to be ready to go in circumstances i said before
i remember a couple of them :
Halo titles
Oblivion and Skyrim
Two Worlds
Diablo 3

do you remember others ?
All the big games I guess. I think The Last Remnant need an HDD for you to play. Tried once without it and realized it's nearly unplayable without, I mean, the frame rate and cutscenes gets real bad during the battles when its not installed and is still "shoddy" sometimes when it is, I just got to the second disc and I've noticed it doesn't really affect load times to much though. To put it this way most of the games don't require a hard drive, but without one u wont be getting anywhere, cuz you'll be at the very beginning of the game every time you turn on your 360 console but then again I honestly haven't seen any game that REQUIRE a hard drive as the storage device. but I am sure some just need more space than a Mem card unit. For example if you have any game that has DLC you definitely need a hard drive to get the DLC. If you have the MU or memory unit you can only hold like 5 game saves depending on how large the saves are.
On the other hand Sony had the right idea by not even selling a HDD-less unit and those 360 Arcade consoles are a joke, not to mention, I like getting demos, and since they are often over 1 gigabyte I need a HDD. (too sad I only have 40gb, and its still like $150+ to upgrade)

Sabkahn said:
dejang8722 said:
Sabkahn said:

1 Disc Games can behave like that too. I.e. Halo 3 will have longer Loadtimes if you do the Optional Install to HDD, however I don know how it work out if you installed that to a USB device.

Nux said:
All the big games i guess. I think The Last Remnant need an HDD for you to play. Tried once without it and realized it's nearly unplayable without, I mean, the frame rate and cutscenes gets real bad during the battles when its not installed and is still "shoddy" sometimes when it is, I just got to the second disc and I've noticed it doesn't really affect load times to much though.

That would be another good question, games that take benefits after hdd install
i can confirm Last Remnant stress too much the dvd player :)

The Witcher 2 recommended that you install it for better performance. not sure if it fits what you mean or not though.

Kremiso said:
FFTHEWINNER said:
The Witcher 2 recommended that you install it for better performance. not sure if it fits what you mean or not though.

yes, this is little different of what im searching for
Battlefield (3 and 4 iirc) too recommend to install some parts

That's correct ^^ just throwing it out there I remember GTA 4 was a pita without HDD. I played it once after detaching it from the console and nothing would load. The world was just textureless + moddless and the loading startup screens had to loop about 3 times over before I was actually in-game. HDD Caching truly for the win this time.

Edit: Also forza 3 doesn't need a hard drive but I believe if you don't have one you just won't have access to the extra stuff (cars and tracks) on the second disc.
5016b17c0383b.jpeg

Back