insane prices of video games are they really worth it .

So I am guilty of paying more than double. I paid $400 for Lunar 1 and 2 on the sega CD as a bundle on etsy. They were the last 2 games I needed to complete my working designs set. so I still think it was worth it.

Its all supply and demand. People will pay what its worth to them, i'm a tight Northerner so i can't afford much which makes the hunt for stuff more exciting when it comes off.

Moandain said:
So I am guilty of paying more than double. I paid $400 for Lunar 1 and 2 on the sega CD as a bundle on etsy. They were the last 2 games I needed to complete my working designs set. so I still think it was worth it.

Nothing to feel guilty about and I would never say something against anyone paying high prices for Retro Games. I know that some games fetch high prices pretty much any day and I know that it is because of high demand. It sounds like they are games you enjoy playing anyway, you probably played them and unless they suddenly throw it on every digital Storefront available they will probably keep their value in case you have to sell them one day for whatever reason.

I usually look at a game and put a price on it. And then if I can't get it for that price I'm glad there's emulation!

Never pay more than the original retail price to play a game. If you don't have money coming out of your ears, just emulate. There's no glory in going broke trying to have a legit collection that no other living person will see, much less admire. The purpose of video games is to be played, not sealed away in xenon gas. If you want the real hardware experience, fine, get it while you can, but flash carts and the like are the way to go with those. That way, you get the real hardware, the games play perfectly, and you don't spend the price of a used car on building up a decent library.

There are a handful of expensive games I'd consider buying, just because I really enjoy them (most have been mentioned here already - things like Rule of Rose, Snatcher, Gleylancer, Eliminate Down, even Earthbound), but they're unjustifiably expensive.

The "Limited Run" effect is killing a lot of special edition collecting, what with scalpers and "sealed" collectors ensuring resale prices escalate.

...although I find it highly amusing that LR's re-releases of GB and NES Star Wars have sold out (both come in $40 standard and $90 special edition versions), when they're easily available in their original physical release formats for literally pocket change.

Back