Is It (Still) Worth Buying a Nintendo Wii in 2018 to Softmod?

I'd say yes, as long as you can pick one up cheap - especially one with the Gamecube controller ports.
It's one of the easiest softmods to perform, it makes for quite a decent emulation machine (second only to my cfw PS3 in my set up), and it's arguably a superior way to play Gamecube games (although I prefer to use my GC).
Really, all you need is any old SD card, of any size (although I'd say 8Gb minimum if you require backing up the nand) and any old external HDD for iso's.

I am trading in my homebrewed Wii for a WiiU. I can play more games at higher resolution with mods to the vWii including the Gamecube games and all the retro Nintendo consoles. That is my next console purchase.

While I agree (I use my soft modded Wii U more for Wii games than anything else), it's also far more expensive to get a Wii U - they pretty much still command the prices they were at retail. And while you can run Gamecube games on a Wii U, most Gamecube peripherals (including memory cards and controllers - unless you buy an adaptor that won't work with all games) won't work with it whereas they will with the original Wii.
Also, while the Wii U is capable of a higher output resolution, Wii games aren't upscaled and look no better than they do from a Wii via component.

If you want it for emulation, I would highly reccomend an Xbox instead. They are cheap, easy to mod, and have many more/better emus than a Wii

I think it has a nice library and is also a good console for emulation. The classic controller is great for that.

I keep picking them up to mod but I never pay more than 15 dollars for a Wii and it has to have at least one controller and all the parts.

Duwen said:

While I agree (I use my soft modded Wii U more for Wii games than anything else), it's also far more expensive to get a Wii U - they pretty much still command the prices they were at retail. And while you can run Gamecube games on a Wii U, most Gamecube peripherals (including memory cards and controllers - unless you buy an adaptor that won't work with all games) won't work with it whereas they will with the original Wii.
Also, while the Wii U is capable of a higher output resolution, Wii games aren't upscaled and look no better than they do from a Wii via component.

yes theres also the quadforce on the wii where you can play mario kart gp arcade etc
i dont think any other console emulates that theres also a 49gb wad pack you can put on the sd
i use my wii for all my gamecube roms.

XC-3730C said:
If you want it for emulation, I would highly reccomend an Xbox instead. They are cheap, easy to mod, and have many more/better emus than a Wii
I don't own an og Xbox, but I'm intrigued by what additional/better emu's it has over a soft modded Wii...

Duwen said:
XC-3730C said:
I don't own an og Xbox, but I'm intrigued by what additional/better emu's it has over a soft modded Wii...

Man I have not even seen an xbox for sale in like 12 years.

Thank you, everyone, for all the great advice, I'll be considering to buy one this year :D have a great one! :cheers:

I know this is old but I have recently got a nice setup on my homebrewed wii and I'd say yes
I have emulatored super scope and zapper games using wii mote, backing up GC game saves, playing triforce arcade games and most surprisingly a fantastic port of quake!

Back