OG Xbox Sata 2 Vs Sata 3

I got to thinking about this today and wanted to see everyone experiences. Has anyone still used a sata 2 hard drive in a original xbox and if so has anyone noticed much lag issues with installed games I have a 2tb hitachi sata 2 7200rpm drive and have if I can get it to lock I am considering using it once in a new xbox build Im getting ready to do. Any guidance would be appreciated.

It doesn't matter what so ever because SATA 1 was already faster than the IDE Standard used by the OG Xbox.

Sabkahn said:
It doesn't matter what so ever because SATA 1 was already faster than the IDE Standard used by the OG Xbox.

Very Happy to hear that works well since I have been wanting to have more hdd space now instead of 1tb I have 2tb

What is the limit for the OG xbox?
I would think the firmware flashed would help break a drive that is too large into partitions.
a 4tb may be overkill.

Last year I flashed my 2 systems with the bios trick (soldering points) and upgraded the drives and not regretted it at all.

iv never used anything slower than 7200, but i would say the adapter is the biggest thing. i have a cheap adapter that takes forever to load up sometimes it will even fail to boot. then a good adapter that works great.

abazz009 said:
iv never used anything slower than 7200, but i would say the adapter is the biggest thing. i have a cheap adapter that takes forever to load up sometimes it will even fail to boot. then a good adapter that works great.
I know the adaptor should be the one with 2 capacitors on it, and you have to upgrade the IDE cable from a 40 pin to an 80 pin.

IloveGames said:
I got to thinking about this today and wanted to see everyone experiences. Has anyone still used a sata 2 hard drive in a original xbox and if so has anyone noticed much lag issues with installed games I have a 2tb hitachi sata 2 7200rpm drive and have if I can get it to lock I am considering using it once in a new xbox build Im getting ready to do. Any guidance would be appreciated.

It depends on how serious you are about the safety and well being of your data and what storage capacity you require, I would say HGST they are a subsidiary of western digital.
WD and Hitachi merged, with Hitachi selling their 3.5" manufacturing to Toshiba - a condition regulators imposed to approve the merger. So your choices are Seagate, WD, and Toshiba. (Toshiba used to only make 2.5" drives before.)

Much is made of manufacturer reliability, but honesty there's more variability in reliability from model to model, than from manufacturer to manufacturer. And unless you're buying used (which I don't recommend), there's no real way to know the model's reliability until it's been on the market for a good 3-5 years. IBM (which Hitachi bought) used to make very reliable drives, then made the 75GXP which was one of the least reliable drives ever made, but then followed it up with the 180GXP which was again very reliable.

So buy whatever drive makes you comfortable, and use a good backup regimen to take care of reliability. Even the best drive can still fail, so a backup is crucial. And if you have backups, it's not really that big a deal how reliable a drive is.

Toshiba used to be very generous in their warranty - giving you credit which you could use to buy a new drive from their online store, instead of shipping you a refurb drive. But I don't know if they still do that.

Each manufacturer makes a variety of models for different purposes. The slower drives (5400 RPM, aka "green" drives) tend to use a bit less power and are fine for archival storage of things like movies and MP3s. The WD green drives tend to be temperamental because of issues with the spindown and/or head parking timeout. So for that reason I'd recommend Seagate or Hitachi if you're going for green drives.

The regular speed drives (7200 RPM) are suitable for a boot drive, but I would highly recommend you get a SSD for your boot drive. 120GB minimum, 250GB to be comfortable. The faster drives (10000+ RPM) I do not recommend at all - get a SSD instead. People make a big deal about the 5400 RPM drives being slow, but the 7200 RPM drives are only 1.33x faster. A SSD is 5x-100x faster (depending on size of the file). So if you're going to make a fuss about green drives being slow, then you shouldn't even be considering a HDD - get a SSD instead.

The SSHDs (with about 8GB of flash cache built into the drive) are a significant improvement over a regular HDD if you're using it as a boot drive. But a SSD is still much better. So again, I would recommend a SSD as your boot drive, and a "green" drive for mass storage. If you get a decent sized SSD and your motherboard supports Intel Smart Response Technology, you can even configure part of the SSD to operate as a cache for the HDD, effectively making it a SSHD if you plan to put frequently-read files (e.g. games) on the HDD.

Moandain said:
What is the limit for the OG xbox?
I would think the firmware flashed would help break a drive that is too large into partitions.
a 4tb may be overkill.

Last year I flashed my 2 systems with the bios trick (soldering points) and upgraded the drives and not regretted it at all.
Its not possible for another reason the og xbox uses a partition that works with mbr gpt is on 3tb+ size hard drives that I am very much aware of. So thats why its not possible as far as I am aware of.

Back